cams on stock 1jz

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
hey guys, i searched but didnt really find much. just wondering who has put upgraded cams on a basically stock 1jz? ive got intake, full 3" turbos back exhaust, and profec e01. what kind of gains could i expect. for the money i figured id rather go for cams and not intercooler and hardpipes. thanks

Mike

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
thanks bro, the first one i saw, but that with upgraded twins and the whole 9 yards. i seen the second link before and was just looking for it. im actually looking to see what kind of gains people are getting with aftermarket, not 2jz cams, on a nearly stock 1jz. just wondering if its worth it on stock or nearly stock 1jz? 2nd link helps some though. thanks

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
If your just BPU, I'd go with the machined 2JZ cams. We all know that the 1jz power drops off after 6000 rpm's. The 2jz cams will keep the powerband going to redline. Plus add some HP throughout the powerband. Good luck.

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
i just dont see how cams could be questioned. little mods or not. unless you want better gas mileage, cams are always good in my opinion.

till this day, best performance part i've ever bought.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I noticed I hit full boost about 300rpm later with my Crower 272s on stock twins, however I made power past 7k, where as it used to fall on its face around 6300. Made some huge gains under the curve. Dropped my E/Ts bout 3 tenths.

Car was a dog below 1500rpm, had to add a little fuel, and advance the timing to help it, but you can live with it stock. Made for quite the lumpy idle too.

Interesting side effect, boost actually dropped due to the motor being able to suck in so much more air.

I highly recommend cams being the second mod everyone sould do on a 1JZ (first being y-pipe).

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I've got the crower 272 small cores and they are the shit. Like Matt said, it's slow at first, but they more than make up for them on the top end.

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
yeah, it screams! i to notice decrease in low end and turbo spool up, but you forget about it once your head is slammed back into the seat. it shuts you up.

lumpy idle is da bomb. i did have to dril a 3/16 hole in my throttle plate to increase cold idle (courtesy of hamsmkiii mentioning it).

dylan jz- 272 small core all the way. go big or go home..hehe.