Cams & Gas Mileage

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
Been thinking on dropping in Cams.
I get pretty good gas mileage on my 1jz. I was wonder how or how bad it will change once I do. Oh and I am talking about everyday driving, this is my dailer driver just cruisin sorta thing.
WOT is a no-brainer. Everyday driving I get and average of 20-22mpg. I reset my trip counter when I gas up drive 360m then it's time to gas up.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
Do you wait til the light turns on? You have 2 gallons to go at that point. 20mpg isn't too bad, but you're R154 right? The 5spd gets worse then the auto due to a less agressive OD. Around town we should be the same, about 22. Highway i'm getting 28 @ 80mph cruise @ 2xxx rpms.

The cams shouldn't really change it, just stay out of the boost and cruise at -10hg/vac or greater and your golden. I cruise @ 11.7 % throttle opening. On most flat roads thats 78-82. On the highway its really easy to go into 5psi with a spaz of the foot, and the mpg goes downnnnnnnnn

Feb 24, 2006
Los Angeles
wow, that's really impressive.. i remember with my stock twins i was getting like around 275miles on a full tank... and now w/ my single, i'm only getting 225 on a full tank.. im guessing it's all because of the boost lag i have now..

jblaze

"Always the underdog"
Apr 14, 2006
Baltimore, Md
I am on stock twins as well. If I am on a long trip and stay out of boost the whole time, I get great mileage. I have gotten 260 mi to a half tank. After that, I get bored and let the boost gauge swing!

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
LOL yep as long as you never see boost :)

I was only getting 23 highway before i went single.

My buddy with his AEM and PT72GTQ is getting over 30mpg highway with his 6spd mkiv with 880cc injectors and hks cams.

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
When I do a tad more foolin around I'll do 300 to the tank full, which is the case here. I gased up last friday went out to play Saturday night, ran a few cobras, c6 z06, RX7 and a few other cars that were up there in hp so I did alot of wot runs. So here I am with only 1/4 tank left and 230 since last fill up.
Is there a significant difference in Gas mileage for everyday driving when you add cams to the equation?

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
With your heavy foot, probably lol....

I put $20 in last wednesday june 27th when the light came on, and today i still have 1/8th tank left and 150mi on the clock. I've done a bit of highway spurts so the average will probably be around 25 when it's all said and done on that $20 bux.

I get over 400mi to the tank. Looks like you need to get retuned. I do hit positive boost alot, but I rarely ever go more then 65% throttle. My tune goes from sane levels of fuel to feeding the space shuttle past 75% throttle, so unless i'm playing on an onramp, I stay away.

What is your cruise RPM???? 45mph for me is around 1300, and highway is around 2500 or so and is nearly impossible without the foot of Jobe to not hit positive boost. If your cruising over 3k, that explains your fuel loss.

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
Ric said:
With your heavy foot, probably lol....

I put $20 in last wednesday june 27th when the light came on, and today i still have 1/8th tank left and 150mi on the clock. I've done a bit of highway spurts so the average will probably be around 25 when it's all said and done on that $20 bux.

I get over 400mi to the tank. Looks like you need to get retuned. I do hit positive boost alot, but I rarely ever go more then 65% throttle. My tune goes from sane levels of fuel to feeding the space shuttle past 75% throttle, so unless i'm playing on an onramp, I stay away.

I will be retuning pretty soon as I add more stuff to it. But sounds like you don't need a hybrid.. My low end is tuned @ 14.5 afr for cruising. It's pretty much on point.
If the car is idle water come out the back meaning it's tuned correctly, even after pulling into the driveway same thing. One thing though, I cruise on the hwy at 95-100 which will toll my gas, still under boost but like you said, any push of the gas and boost is right there with me.
I'll be adding cams but if my gas mileage goes through the floor, out they come.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
Yeah my car will water vapor also, the tune is right on.

LOL if you cruise at 95-100mph with your R154.............. yeah theres your problem. Slow it down to 75 and you'll see a huge jump.

The problem with your MPG isn't the car, its the driver. As I said, my buddy with his MKIV gets over 30, and he dynos over 580whp on his 93 octane tune (800+ on c16) with cams etc. He also drives like grandma and doesn't go over 80mph unless he's racing.

Cams will hurt with your driving style, the only thing thats going to make it better is self control :)

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
Ric said:
Cams will hurt with your driving style, the only thing thats going to make it better is self control :)

Too much self control adds on too much age to ones face. Not my style. The reason we are here is because we can't control our appetite for power otherwise we'll settle for a Honda Civics DX and look down on those that break the speed limit.:3d_frown: I guess what comes down to is tuning

csnow said:
Thats ok, you will have paid me for them already :)

and you'll be running for the border when I do:evil2:

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Ric said:
LOL yep as long as you never see boost :)

I was only getting 23 highway before i went single.

My buddy with his AEM and PT72GTQ is getting over 30mpg highway with his 6spd mkiv with 880cc injectors and hks cams.

Leo?

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
Ric said:
Theres a few 1JZ sc400's lurking around drew... it's no different to swap.
Yeah I know, I am just busting his chops. We'll be converting this one in a few weeks.
The difference is in the wiring. But yeah apple with apples.