Cam Seals leaking need help

mk3713

Up for sale
Nov 29, 2005
Houston
Just replaced the camseals on my 90 turbo supra last friday and they are leaking again. Have to do it again but that is the third time. Does anyone know what the real problem is i dont just whant to keep puting a bandaid over it. This is all after a head rebuild . Does anyone know what could have gone wrong.

Arther3

Remember SOGI? I do
Apr 1, 2005
Starkville, MS
www.cardomain.com
i have teh same problem...i even put sleeves over the the cams to make them fit tighter...but i havent tried the sleeves with the toyota cam seals...i think maybe its the cheap seals i buy from oreilly's or where ever becuase they seal well at first. especially since i put the sleeves on the cams.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
i had the same problem, even with the toyota ones, make sure everything is clean. I ended up gettin them done by my mechanic who charged me nothing, but now im gettin a crankseal leak....it looks like...

C

cnewingham

are you putting a light film of oil on the inside? are they leaking on the inner part of the seal or on the outter? Also are your cams smooth where the inner seal sits?

Arther3

Remember SOGI? I do
Apr 1, 2005
Starkville, MS
www.cardomain.com
MDCmotorsports said:
^ what he said.

Also, you guys need to make sure you are pulling vacuum off the valve covers. If you aren't, there's your whole problem.

i have been thinking of that...because mine vent to atmosphere. although the pcv hose to the crankcase is free-flowing (which when clogged i hear can cause oil leaks) i still htink that maybe i should try connecting a catch can and recirculating the hoses from the valve covers back to the accordian.
ill try that next.

suprarossa

Old Fart MGMS Afflicted
Came upon this thread after doing a search, since I have the same problem. ATK reman engine with less than 8K on it has blown its originals and one replacement set now. The second set ddidn't even last from the shop to my garage (20 miles). I have them check the PCV while they are putting in the second set