cam question.

rawmk3

Jul 5, 2008
IL
Ok so this isnt exactly about the cams, but the cover behind the cam gears for the head, is it needed there? Does it hold the cam seals in place or is it just a dust cover, and a way to mount the timing cover? Is that cover needed for anything mechanical, because if not i am probably going to remove it, but I dont know if it has anything to do with the cams.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
rawmk3;1144786 said:
Ok so this isnt exactly about the cams, but the cover behind the cam gears for the head, is it needed there? Does it hold the cam seals in place or is it just a dust cover, and a way to mount the timing cover? Is that cover needed for anything mechanical, because if not i am probably going to remove it, but I dont know if it has anything to do with the cams.

it is just a dust cover and you can remove it....but it does have groves cut in the top that are needed to time your cams to the cam pulleys....keep the plate for if you ever do a timeing belt replacement or for whatever...

You can put it back on put the pulleys back on but don't tighten them, then time your cams, remove pulleys, remove plate, then install pulleys but don't move the cams.....don't tighten the bolts till you have the timeing belt on.

rawmk3

Jul 5, 2008
IL
Poodles;1144798 said:
Of course having the timing case open allows things to get in there and destroy your timing belt and gears...

Well its not going to be a daily driver in any way. It is going to strictly be a track/ show type of car. Maybe some mild street use on weekends, but not much normal drive time at all. And the initial time marks I understand, I just dont really want that there. LOL Although I may get it cleaned up and paint it to match the rest of the car, But that is kinda iffy right now.