cam key

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
Only had one key for the cam pulley (that round alignment key). Used a split rolled steel one from the hardware store that fit good and snug on the intake side and the one I had for the exhaust.

Anyone see any reason to put a OEM one in there ? It's timed and ready but haven't started her yet.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
I wouldn't.........
A roll pin is not designed to take constant vibration/shock loads,
as is induced into the pulley by a bunch of cam lobes smacking lifters at 6000 rpm.
Just go buy a pin at the dealer.
If they don't have one, an industrial supply company will have them, like McMaster-Carr.
It's a 5mm dowel pin (not a 'key')

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
I'm under the impression that the key doesn't actually hold the cam drive wheel in place and it more for alignment than suport system. Still have the engine out so it's just a matter of retiming it. My laziness says leave it but my peace of mind says change it.

ordering one today then.

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
:3d_frown: Ok, let us get this straight. You have insurance at least, the 7m being a non-interference motor. But if you think about it, there are no teeth, grooves, or anything locking the cam gear to the cam except for the 5mm dowel pin! And like gofastgeorge said

"A roll pin is not designed to take constant vibration/shock loads,
as is induced into the pulley by a bunch of cam lobes smacking lifters at 6000 rpm."

When you think of a roll pin, it is HALLOW! It will shear in a heartbeat, and you will be :cry:ing as you tear the whole front of the motor apart, wasting antifreeze, and whatnot as you try to figure out how to get the 'roll pin' that sheared off out of your camshaft.

:naughty: That's why you do what I did, when I couldn't find my OEM Dowel pins. I went out and bough 6, 3 for the exhaust, 3 for the intake. Some people may call it overkill, but I don't mind. :biglaugh: