cam gear install

rasmussenbc

Oct 16, 2008
Gig Harbor, WA
Hey everyone. Please help. I asked this same question on another forum, but I cant get any solid answers out of anyone.

so you know how on the cam gears there are three holes and the pin on the camshaft goes into the one in the middle at TDC? Well when installing new cam gears on my 7mgte, I noticed that the pin on the intake side actually goes into the hole on the right on the cam gear, as if the camshaft was 45 degrees out. Here is a picture to help explain what I'm trying to say. Both my cam gears are at TDC just like the picture, on the exhaust side the pin is in the middle, but on the intake side the pin is in the hole on the right where the red arrow is pointing.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r132/letskeeptoday/Toyota-7M-Manual-EngineM-EN_34_0001-1.jpg

I'm wondering if while my engine was sitting out with no timing belt on it, if somebody was messing around with it, twisted the intake camshaft 45 degrees clockwise, then took the cam gear off and put it back on incorrectly. Or... is there something to do with tuning or timing that I don't know about, and this was done for a good reason?

Please help if you have experience. The repair manual doesn't say how they go on in respect to the pins on the camshafts, just that the cam gears must be "installed the same way they were removed"

Sorry if this is confusing. I need help. I really close to putting this engine in my car and this is the ONLY thing holding me back.

Thanks a ton for any input.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Should be 3 holes on the cam gear and 3 on the cam. Just line them all up or put the pin in the middle one.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
There's a matchmark on the cam gear itself, but yes, I believe it is straight up as well. Best to line up the matchmark on the cam gear to the one on the plate behind them.