Calling jetjock---- 1j air conditioning problem

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
I have been having an intermittent air conditioning problem.

Let me start off by saying I running a 1j and when the a/c is turned on the idle up works as it should

Our temps here in Houston have just been hot, but pretty consistently within a couple degrees from day to day. Well, with the air on, the regulator temps fluctuate from 60* to 40*. This is going down the highway at 60mph+.

So I read the manual, and started to check things out.

Found two things that struck me as odd.

The first being that when the a/c is on, the sight glass stays pretty clear, but if you turn the a/c off, 20-30 seconds later the freon with what looks like it in it's liquid state bubbles a little and then drains from the sight glass. So much that I can see freon draining from the tube to the right of the sight glass. I don't think the manual ever mentions being able to see the freon drain to the bottom of the rec/drier in the sight glass.

The second being, when I crack the throttle quickly, the a/c clutch disengages completely, but if I slowly crack the throttle it stays engaged.

I just discovered these two problems, but while doing so in my garage, the a/c on was blowing a solid 45*-50*.

I am wondering if I have a big air pocket in it or that maybe these two problems are related.

One more thing, my a/c will cycle.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

Wayne

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Sorry Wayne, but you only have 491 posts. Maybe you should post this again when you have at least 500. I don't make JetJocks rules, but I do have to help uphold them. Have a nice day.............:sarcasm:

If I had any useful info, I would have posted it, but I dont' so I thought I would just bump this for you.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
For the most part it sounds like it is operating normaly. The only oddity that may be present is the 40-60° fluctuation. If you are staying at a constant speed you shouldnt see that much of a temp swing unless you are a little low on freon or you have moisture present. You really need to hook up a set of guages to the high and low side to get an accurate idea of what is going on.

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
suprahero;1083843 said:
Sorry Wayne, but you only have 491 posts. Maybe you should post this again when you have at least 500. I don't make JetJocks rules, but I do have to help uphold them. Have a nice day.............:sarcasm:

If I had any useful info, I would have posted it, but I dont' so I thought I would just bump this for you.

Sorry, I didn't know you had to have 500 posts to page jetjock!!!!

Wayne

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
CyFi6;1083850 said:
Assuming you are using R12, what you see in the sight glass is completely normal, as stated here.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=AC&P=21

I am sorry, should have mentioned that i have been converted to 134a.

Yeah, I looked at this as I have the hard copy, but didn't see any reference to the freon draining from the sight glass, like there was a hole in the bottom of the drier.

Does anyone else with a 1j have the compressor clutch disengage with a quick blip of the throttle?

Wayne

Last edited:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Not much I can add. Kck and CyFi6 nailed it. Intermittent cooling is usually caused icing up of a faulty TXV, a bit of dirt, or a system that wasn't evacuated enough to get all the water out. On the gages it shows up as an abrupt drop in low side pressure. Could also be the 1J doesn't make enough torque to turn the compressor properly ;)

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
jetjock;1083950 said:
Not much I can add. Kck and CyFi6 nailed it. Intermittent cooling is usually caused icing up of a faulty TXV, a bit of dirt, or a system that wasn't evacuated enough to get all the water out. On the gages it shows up as an abrupt drop in low side pressure. Could also be the 1J doesn't make enough torque to turn the compressor properly ;)

I just had to laugh at the 1j torque assumption, kinda still laughing.... It's more like the compressor clutch just lets go when the revs are brought up very quickly--like a throttle blip. But when the revs are brought up slowly the clutch stays engaged. I remember seeing some cars would disengage the a/c clutch when a considerable throttle input was introduced, but didn't think ours was one of them and don't remember the 7m doing that.

Also wondering if while watching the sight glass, should I see all the freon drain down the drier when a/c is turned off?

I have read somewhere, here I believe, about our (mkIII) a/c systems not being the cycling type, is that true?

Would you suggest trying to get the system flushed?

Thanks

Wayne

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
1) What you're seeing in the sight glass is completely normal.

2) No, a TXV system normally does not cycle. It can be shut off by some things though. You're thinking of systems that use an orifice tube instead of a TXV.

3) There is nothing in a stock MKIII AC system that will shut the clutch off upon throttle application. I have a pressure switch on mine that kills it on boost but I added that. You might have a loose wire, a worn clutch, or one that needs it's air gap adjusted.

4) I would put a set of gages on it.

5) 500 posts are not needed ;)

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
jetjock;1083991 said:
1) What you're seeing in the sight glass is completely normal.

2) No, a TXV system normally does not cycle. It can be shut off by some things though. You're thinking of systems that use an orifice tube instead of a TXV.

3) There is nothing in a stock MKIII AC system that will shut the clutch off upon throttle application. I have a pressure switch on mine that kills it on boost but I added that. You might have a loose wire, a worn clutch, or one that that needs it's air gap adjusted.

4) I would put a set of gages on it.

5) 500 posts are not needed ;)

Thanks jetjock, your advice is always welcomed and appreciated.

I will look for any loose wires and consult the manual concerning adjusting the airgap.

Wayne