calling all GM experts

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
I have a 95 chevy 1500 with a 350 motor

problem: the temperature gauge does not work.

I have tried to wiggle the temp. sensor wire because it looks very old and brittle. (to see if the gauge would jump around)

that did nothing.

question: what is the first thing that usually goes?

where or what should I be looking(at)?

I'm thinking it's the sensor, but I'm not sure and don't want to waste money replacing parts I don't need to replace.

thanks

monkihead

driven to thrill
Jul 23, 2005
texas
pull sensor off intake housing and submerge in 200 degree water. if gauge doesn't move sensor is faulty. the temp gauge usually doesn't go out. However, if you run a jumper wire on the harness it should make the gauge flicker(just to double check gauge). your looking at a $20 part.

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
monkihead;1337904 said:
pull sensor off intake housing and submerge in 200 degree water. if gauge doesn't move sensor is faulty. the temp gauge usually doesn't go out. However, if you run a jumper wire on the harness it should make the gauge flicker(just to double check gauge). your looking at a $20 part.

what do I run that jumper wire to?

I'm still a bit confused.

please elaborate.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
Basically wanna ground the wire to make it jump on gauge. It should peg out tho instead of flicker... It's been a long whilesince I had to do it. Sensors are dirt cheap.

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
Mk3runner;1338077 said:
Basically wanna ground the wire to make it jump on gauge. It should peg out tho instead of flicker... It's been a long whilesince I had to do it. Sensors are dirt cheap.

I jumped it and it pegged out. so my sensor is bad right?

the only thing is the wiring looks horrid, I'm thinking it may have something to do with that as well.

thanks for the help guys