CA smog check question

stevexyz

Nov 15, 2011
CA
i'm about to renew the registration of my 88 supra na. i believe the this year dmv is gona require a smog check. i did some very small mods to my car. basically just two mods: cool air intake (pls see the pic below) and an egr block off plate. will my car fail the smog test because of these two mods? it's not hard to reverse the mod. but i don't want to reverse it unless it's really necessary.

817.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
you wont pass without egr. and since the intake is not carb legal you will fail the visual. Also removing egr does nada for perormance.

stevexyz

Nov 15, 2011
CA
hvyman;1925488 said:
you wont pass without egr. and since the intake is not carb legal you will fail the visual. Also removing egr does nada for perormance.

thx for the info. i'll reverse the mods before taking my car to smog check. i know removing egr won't do any good for performance, but it won't do any harm either. i put the block off plate there just to prevent the carbon from building up in the air way to the intake. when i took it out to clean last year, it was all clogged up (probly becuz it's never been cleaned before).

stevexyz

Nov 15, 2011
CA
jetjock;1925534 said:
Depends on his county. They may not do enhanced. There still the visual problem though.

i didn't remove the egr. everything is still attached. i just put a block off plate in between the joint.

koldfire08

Jul 5, 2009
Las Vegas
You will want to make sure you have a
C.A.R.B. approved intake, if so then then the E.O. number placard will need to be visible upon inspection.

You will also fail for missing an emission component. Even if you're basic there will still be a visual inspection.

Also, your timing should be 10 degrees plus or minus 2 degrees.(8-12BTDC)

Just food for thought.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2