Bypassing the Heater core?

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
Well I just got my 2jz swap in my Mk3 running, and well after many months of sitting I guess the heater core went. Right now the vacuum switch is off of the car(broke and bypassed) so coolant is running though the heater core all the time now. Well after my feet were sprayed with hot coolant Im sure t he heater core is on the way out. Im 99% sure that you can simply bypass the heater core, but im just wondering if theres any negative effects it can have. Do I need to solder the new heater core in place if I decide to get a new one?

THanks
Steveyblack

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No soldering needed when you get a new one. Its got o rings and clips.

The only down side to by passing it is the heater core acts like a another small rad, but you should have no problems driving around as long as everything else in your cooling system is up to par.

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
My thermostat and Waterpump both have less then 1k miles. Rad is a stock drop in, although I want to get a new and bigger radiatior. I might replace and still bypass it because of all the extra heat I have lingering in the car.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
i dont have pics but its pretty simple. i dont know the size but i think its all 5/8 hose, but dont quote me on it. just take the hoses off the core at the firewall, but a male to male coupler , hook the hoses toghter, clamp and volia, heater core bypassed.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No thats manually making the valve open all the time. Can be done a lot easier by just bypassing the vsv and applying straight vacuum to the actuator.

All you need to do is connect the hose that at the back of the head in the middle with the hose thats on the left side that attaches to the left heater core port.

TaylorRacing

Jun 1, 2011
San Diego
bumping an old thread! I am in the process if finally getting the final things tied up before i can fire my fresh build. However! I need some tuner advise from you guys. where the heater core lines come off the front of the engine. The hard lines that run behind the turbo. Can i remove all of that without causing any problems? is there a company that sells block off plates?

-Mike

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
^ dont think so.

If you block those off your not going to have any coolant flow at the back of the engine.

emmkaytree

Mar 15, 2013
Illinois
There should be a feed and return hose going through the firewall into the core. If you want to remove the core just chop off the hoses, get a barbed male fitting and two hose clamps and link the two lines. There are cleaner ways to do this but that is the main concept. Downsides, you won't have heat in your car minus engine bay heat, and it puts a little more demand on the rest of the coolant system but nothing bad.

TaylorRacing

Jun 1, 2011
San Diego
heater is the least of my worries. and having a dash in my way isn't a problem either.
402939_3771382760474_1139630084_n.jpg

and the extra strain of the radiator working harder is not an issue either. Mine is bigger then a 7mgte was ever thought to need.
599419_3772094218260_819767775_n.jpg

I will look into the cooling route my next day off. but i dont think toyota would design a motor that would need external cooling lines to get water to the back of the head. I understand the lines to the turbo are needed. but the rest looks to me only needed for the heater core. i cant be the first guy to try this right?

thanks for the input so far guys every little bit helps!

-Mike