Bypassing J-tube

89MkIII

targa'd tank
Mar 30, 2005
WI
When bypassing the J-tube, what do you guys recommend using to connect the fuel lines? Should I use a small hardline?

Attachments

• BLOCK%20OFF.JPG
    BLOCK%20OFF.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 70

89MkIII

targa'd tank
Mar 30, 2005
WI
7M-GTE said:
I used a steel braided line... but it came with my afpr install kit...

Did your braided line replace both lines in the picture?? Or did it just serve as a connector?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I went from the fuel junction on the block direct to the fuel rail, removing the FPD all together. AN-6 line & fittings; the fuel rail fitting is 14x1.50 mm AN-6...I think the junction fitting is the same, but to be honest, I can't remember. The hose end on the fuel rail is a 120 deg AN-6; the one on the fuel junction hose end is 90 deg AN-6. Here's a couple of pics...sorry the one is a bit blurry, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
jdub said:
I went from the fuel junction on the block direct to the fuel rail, removing the FPD all together. AN-6 line & fittings; the fuel rail fitting is 14x1.50 mm AN-6...I think the junction fitting is the same, but to be honest, I can't remember. The hose end on the fuel rail is a 120 deg AN-6; the one on the fuel junction hose end is 90 deg AN-6. Here's a couple of pics...sorry the one is a bit blurry, but you get the idea.

actually I didn't get rid of the FPD I got rid of the FPR which is on the other side of the rail... but you have to keep in mind you need that upgraded fuel pump if your emliminating the jtube...

89MkIII

targa'd tank
Mar 30, 2005
WI
Thanks for the pics. Alright, so if I have this right, everything I need to correctly install a AFPR is basically supplied w/ the LIPP kit I got with the AFPR? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row when my mechanic friend helps me w/ this install.

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
89MkIII said:
Thanks for the pics. Alright, so if I have this right, everything I need to correctly install a AFPR is basically supplied w/ the LIPP kit I got with the AFPR? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row when my mechanic friend helps me w/ this install.

it was to my understanding that if you removed the jtube you need the fuel pump to compensate for what the jtube was doing... which is building pressure... someone correct me if I'm wrong...

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You know...you're right. I just re-read the post and I answered the wrong question :icon_conf The FPR is on the return side, the FPD (removed in my pics) is on the feed side where the "J" tube is not even in the loop.

Most guys just drill out the "J" tube or just bypass it completely from the FPR to the fuel return line. It is a restriction w/ an upgraded FPR...and you are correct 7M-GTE, it is there to help the stock FPR with pressure. It should only be removed when upgrading the FPR. I did remove the FPD on my set-up...I have the Walbro pump and don't have any issues with fuel pulse. Pressure is nice and constant.

89MkIII

targa'd tank
Mar 30, 2005
WI
Yes, my fuel pump will be upgraded at the same time. So if I'm understanding correctly, the two fuel lines connected to the J-tube (illustrated in my original picture) will be entirely replaced and/or bypassed w/ a braided line in my afpr kit that goes from the AFPR to the fuel return line.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
89MkIII said:
Yes, my fuel pump will be upgraded at the same time. So if I'm understanding correctly, the two fuel lines connected to the J-tube (illustrated in my original picture) will be replaced w/ a braided line in my afpr kit.

Yes...it's the line that screws into the bottom of the FPR (assuming it's an Aeromotive FPR) and joins the fuel return line on the bottom of the car with a nipple/clamp fitting using a short rubber hose piece. You can remove the "J" tube completely and replace it with a plain cover and stock gasket.

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
89MkIII said:
Yes, my fuel pump will be upgraded at the same time. So if I'm understanding correctly, the two fuel lines connected to the J-tube (illustrated in my original picture) will be entirely replaced and/or bypassed w/ a braided line in my afpr kit that goes from the AFPR to the fuel return line.

if you get the kit from suprasport I can send you pics of my install of the afpr...

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
actually here are a few I'll need to take a pic of the jtube block off tomorrow when it's nicer out... it's snowin here...

p169346_1.jpg

p169346_2.jpg

89MkIII

targa'd tank
Mar 30, 2005
WI
AWESOME..... Really appreciate it! And yes, I bought everything from Supra Sport, the aeromotive unit and the LIPP kit.

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
89MkIII said:
AWESOME..... Really appreciate it! And yes, I bought everything from Supra Sport, the aeromotive unit and the LIPP kit.
I'll put a pic of under the lower intake so you can see what I did under there...