Bypass Hose

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
There is a hose that runs from the back of the thermostat into a line that goes what looks like across the front of the engine. Not sure exactly but I hope someone knows what I'm talking about. It's about 4 inches long and has a 90 degree bend in it. Well it has blowed off my car twice or should I say split at the bend. Is there a permanent fix for this or am I gonna just have to keep replacing the hose? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bill.

blackturbona

May 10, 2007
kirkland
oh man i just replaced that hose and it was annoying, but as far as a permanent fix... stronger rubber??? are u getting a napa hose or a toyota hose?

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
Toyota hose. I figured they had to have some type of pressure rating on it. I know that pulling out the intake and moving the powersteering bracket is really getting under my skin. I'd weld a piece of aluminum or metal in there if I thought I could do it just so I don't have to worry about it. LOL. Thanks Bill.

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
Umm.... I guess not. The first time I took everything apart there wasn't anything there. So I'm guessing when the previous owner had to replace it they didn't put the heat sheild back in. My parts car didn't have one either. Are we talking about the same thing? I'll post up pics to clarify. But it will be either tommorow or Fri. before I am able to. Well technically it is Thurs. so I guess today or tommorow. Thanks Bill.

zurud

Apr 10, 2005
Evansville, IN
I hate that hose. It blew up on me several time so far. I think it's because it's so close to exhaust manifold, making it hot and soft. Right now I cover it with aluminium foil so it doesn't get too hot. I use several tie strap on it too. It always blow up at the 90 degree section. I am thinking of using silicone hose with 2 or 3 bias ply on it. I know somebody make 14mm id 90 degree silicone hose. I have the heatshield. I don't recomend welding 90 degree tube there unless you never plan to take your engine apart.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
yes, there is a small heatsheild that is welded onto the pip in that area. It's always in the way of changing the hose, so it seems to snap off...

no heat protection and that hose is toast...

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
yea im fabing a sheild and a lower bay cover also. The last owner must have lost them or thought them unimprtant.:3d_frown:

aidanair

Cops Love Me
Aug 27, 2007
Marlboro
billwert said:
There is a hose that runs from the back of the thermostat into a line that goes what looks like across the front of the engine. Not sure exactly but I hope someone knows what I'm talking about. It's about 4 inches long and has a 90 degree bend in it. Well it has blowed off my car twice or should I say split at the bend. Is there a permanent fix for this or am I gonna just have to keep replacing the hose? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bill.

hahahahahahaha i replaced this this week.. such a BITCHHH.. the oem one coudnt fit it was too short idk why so i just got one from pepboys =] funny post though dude

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
p804151_1.jpg

The hose I'm talking about can be seen here I have it circled. In red it's by the P/S Res the lower one. This may be the one previously attached but I couldn't really see much where the shot was taken from. So sorry if it is the same hose. BTW not my engine. I haven't had time to take any pics yet. Two jobs and college is taking my time. Bill.

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
p804166_1.gif

Well after a little more searching I found the entire Breakdown map for the hose I'm looking at. 16283 is the Part Number. It looks like I can see the heat sheild your talking about. I'll check to see if I have that or not. I don't recall seeing it but I was in such a hurry I didn't really look for something like that. I'll prolly just wind up putting some heat wrap on it. Thanks Bill.

Last edited:

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Yea only place I have ever seen one is in pictures on the net. Every supra I have ever seen in person is missing that sheild.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I CAREFULLY bend it out of the way to install that hose as I have never found a way to get a hose clamp on it without getting that sheild out of the way...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
well, if I had the stock clamps that would work, but they where long since replaced with worm clamps, and there isn't any room to tighten it...

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I see. The stock clamps are preferred in this location.

Worm clamps work better though for the the other elbow hose at the back of the engine where there's no room to get pliers in.