Buying a car with a built blown motor.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I am guessing pistons will be fried, but just would like to get a second opinion before hand.

I am most likely going to be picking up another car with a blown motor soon. I am just trying to get an idea of what most likely is the big issue in it. Could it be as simple as a blown head gasket, or most likely fried pistons or broken rods?)

Here is the back story, someone was on test drive on pump gas, and pump gas tune. they turned the boost up higher than it should have been on pump gas and I was told it blew up the motor. (car has pump and race fuel tune on and aem, but also uses a separate electronic boost controller)

The engine has wiseco pistons, crower rods, and metal head gasket. I was told the car is not currently running because of this, and am wondering if it is most likely just the head gasket, or if it is common to fry pistons or break rods when something like this occurs.

I was also told there may be some oil dripping from it, I don't know where from or anything yet, but I am hoping it didn't window the block lol.

I know there is not a whole bunch of info, but the seller has not dove into it at all as he is wanting to just get rid of it, and I have not had a chance to look at it, or run a compression test or anything yet.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The whole engine could be trash. pistons are usually first to go but damage to the head is usually second and when rods go usually the block as well.

if it leaks oil only after that then i doubt most of it is good.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I really am hoping it is just pistons, or head gasket (very unlikely), but if it windowed the block ill be a little pissed since I really would like to use the crowers lol. If it windowed the block or broke a rod, I think ill be doing eagles with wisecos in this one too since itll be a bit more mild than my other motor, and that one has the same internals.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I would consider the engine a complete loss until teardown. If it was just a bhg then it would still start and run and you'd be able to hear for other damage. I would buy it as a roller with mods in unknown condition. Who's to say the aem ems didn't take a dump then killed the engine? Remember that guy on supraforums that bought an aem from another member that was upgrading to a pro efi? Turns out that aem was broken and unrepairable according to aem themselves. And he was supposed to be a stand up guy in the Supra community. Trust no one. Place your bid accordingly to its running condition.

So this guy hasn't had any interest to tear it down to find out what the problem is? Who puts that kind of money into their engine and doesn't further investigate when a problem arises? One who already knows what the problem is and just trying to pawn it off on the next guy. Buyer beware.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Basically the car has been for sale for a while now as a running car. He travels for work and was out of town when a potential buyer came by to check it out. His wife was showing the car and he took it for a test drive with her.
The car is set up for low boost on 91 octane, and high boost on race fuel. He turns up the boost on pump gas (91 here) and it pops. Says it will not start now, but they drove it back to the house and his wife said it was smoking out the back, and sounded like it wasn't running on all 6 cylinders.
Long story short, he bought a mkiv a while back, and has been loosing interest in the mk3 for while. He is moving and trying to clean house.

Anyways, I have a killer price on it already, and the engine is not factored into the price as he and I both know that something is toast.

I am not trying to ask if I should buy the car or not. I plan to buy it as long as I can get to it. Price will remain undisclosed until I pick it up.
What I guess I am asking is what usually goes first when in this situation?

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Suprapowaz!(2);2008394 said:
Owner of that car might have also been a member on either this forum, or Supraforums. I do recognize the paint job.

I have heard this, also have heard that he got flamed pretty hard because of it. We'll see how much it grows on me while I get the car running again.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Here are a few I took this morning. I washed it up last night, but it was too dark to take pictures, then it had to rain this morning. Also excuse the dirty engine bay. I need to degrease it next time, they lived off a gravel road about a mile, so it was a little dusty.

Also if anyone has any ideas on what turbo setup is on it please share. I know it used to have a 60-1 upgrade on it, but I have heard its a sp67 bolt on. I just need to dig through my file and see I suppose.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Definitely have seen that car on this forum before. Can't recall who owned it though, but it seems like you got your self a good deal there. Bunch of nice parts and a big ol turbo :D

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Well, scoped out the cylinders today. Nothing. Gapped and put a set of copper plugs in it, and she fired right up. Needed to toss a battery in it tho (had a spare from when i switched to a yellow top in my other car). Car drives great, it does need a higher stall in it tho. Anyone have any recommendations on shops for raising the stall?

It started overheating after a couple pulls. It seems like it is showing sings of a blown head gasket. Going to top off the coolant and see if it still overheats. if so Ill tear into it plane the head, and get it back together. I am super happy with this purchase.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I would also add a trans cooler and add a Trans go AW4 -A340 shift reprograming kit. My car had a higher stall convertor when I got it. Makes a big difference over stock.

If you are blowing coolant out the overflow or loosing coolant the Head gasket is failing due to just a gasket problem or warped sealing surfaces causing gasket to fail. If the head gasket is really old you may get away with just gaskets. If it has been done recently you might have more issues. Good luck.

Nice car BTW. Different but still nice.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I can confirm it is a BHG, no big deal. ill tear it apart this week, hope there isn't coolant in the oil (obviously will check) and if not I will be getting the head planned and putting it back together. Should be out and about next week as long as there is no coolant in the oil and everything goes smooth. Its not my first rodeo, so won't take much to do.