Buying a car from someone who bought it and never registered it...

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Ok guys, I want to buy a car from Ohio and bring it to NY. I will drive there and bring it back on a UHaul as it need a motor.

The problem is that the current "owner," did not register the car and has all his info under the buyer section.

I once bought a car like this, but luckily the buyer section was not filled out on the title. I had the guy, who I bought the car from, sign the bill of sale. When I went to the DMV, I had to either get the original person who's name was on the title to sign the bill of sale or pay 3,500 for a 1991 Supra with 151,xxx on the Odometer with a blown motor. I just got a new form and signed the person's name, who the title was in. Yes, I know all the legal problem that can bring but I had no clue where to find that guy.

So, does anyone know what I would do if I buy the car where the title is filled out with another buyer's info who never registered the car, but sold it?

Buying in Ohio, registering in NYC. The car is a 2001, if it make a difference.

Thanks.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Who is selling you the car? Why do they have the title with someone else's name on it? If it was never registered by the person who's name is on it now, it might be easier to apply for a lost title. That way when the owner of the car gets the new title, it won't have some one else's name on it.

Disclaimer: I build things for a living and am not a car salesman. This is just my opinion on what you can do. Please don't try to take me to court and sue me for anything because I don't own anything and would be tempted to kill you in your sleep.

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
Shit that's a bad deal. if there is a date on the title then you are screwed!! Here in Oklahoma they charge a dollar a day on registration fees and another dollar a day if its not in up to date on the tag.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
The guy bought the car, signature of previous owner and bill of sale as well, no report of it stolen and did not bother fixing it, so now he is selling the car.

This is why I am worried about buying it. I will call my DMV office tomorrow and see what they say.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Look up your laws. In Texas you don't have to register a vehicle that isn't driven or parked on the streets, and you're not punished for registering it later.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
get the current owner to transfer/regster it then get him to fill out the transfer forms to you. if he wont then dont buy it, or make a low ball offer. a car without a valid title is only worth its weight as scrap metal/parts, regardless how mint it is.

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
If you find out it's not stolen, and there are no existing liens, you can put a mechanics lien on it for "non-payment"

Another route you can take is leave it on your property for 30 or 60 days (don't remember which one), and file it as an abandoned vehicle.

Good luck man

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
So long as you have the chain of custody (bill of sale to the guy you bought it from and then the bill of sale for you) you should be fine. That's how I got my current 87 Supra when it was a shell and hadn't been registered in a couple years.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Every state is different in this sort of thing, so I'd recommend making some phone calls to the NYC DMV before laying down an offer on the car.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
IBoughtASupra;1751597 said:
Ok guys, I want to buy a car from Ohio and bring it to NY. I will drive there and bring it back on a UHaul as it need a motor.

The problem is that the current "owner," did not register the car and has all his info under the buyer section.

I once bought a car like this, but luckily the buyer section was not filled out on the title. I had the guy, who I bought the car from, sign the bill of sale. When I went to the DMV, I had to either get the original person who's name was on the title to sign the bill of sale or pay 3,500 for a 1991 Supra with 151,xxx on the Odometer with a blown motor. I just got a new form and signed the person's name, who the title was in. Yes, I know all the legal problem that can bring but I had no clue where to find that guy.

So, does anyone know what I would do if I buy the car where the title is filled out with another buyer's info who never registered the car, but sold it?

Buying in Ohio, registering in NYC. The car is a 2001, if it make a difference.

Thanks.

had same problem with my car tell them you can't find the og owner and you already looked they should give you a pink paper to fill out and then you should get your title after you pass smog

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Nope. Called the DMV, current owner has all documents from the previous owner. In Ohio, they will issue you a title to change ownership, unlike NY, where you have to insure and register the car for a day.

He will take care of that, then let me know.

Thanks for all the input guys!

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
IBoughtASupra;1752052 said:
Nope. Called the DMV, current owner has all documents from the previous owner. In Ohio, they will issue you a title to change ownership, unlike NY, where you have to insure and register the car for a day.

He will take care of that, then let me know.

Thanks for all the input guys!

well hopefully you can get the car i dealed with a similar situation with my supra and it was frustrating almost bought another supra cause i didn't think i would be able to get the title in my name..good luck

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Yeap, hope he gets the title to the car in his name, it is easy to do in Ohio.

This is a picture of the car...
a6898ad9-7931-bc0d.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
What is that thing anyway? Cadillac? For once, I am completely stumped if it isn't...