Buying a budget tire, anyone tried these? (I picked/purchased already, thanks guys)

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
i've driven in snow with my worn federals. it was stupid slippery. fun until I almost slid into oncoming traffic trying to stop....

OK i'm clicking "BUY"...whoohoooo!!

Order Total: $365.64 lawl

MA70Supra88

Boostless
Mar 31, 2005
Boerne, TX
ZoomZoomZoom;1143565 said:
You drove your sup in the snow with them?

Sounds like a death-wish to me..

Since when is it a death wish to drive in the snow with all season tires? Don't drive like an idiot and you won't have any problems...

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
Poodles;1143522 said:
Kumho's as they wear out make more noise (as do all tires since the siping in lost). The SPT's are noisy because of their design...

after the dunlop sp sport 5000s, the kumhos whisper.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
The firestones are solid tires, the only complaints i ever heard about them is road noise, but more on sedans.(edit: its mostly sedan drivers who complain, performance drivers know that performance tires will make some noise) they grip nice and wear well and are relatively inexpensive. I sell alot of them, plus they have a treadwear warranty of 50,000 miles for most sizes and 40,000 for the W rated sizes. Id go with the firestones.

Last edited:

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Figit090;1142361 said:
OK called around, now there's one I hadn't heard of, Riken Raptor ZR tires for 468 with everything. they have a 300/AA/A rating and look pretty good... and i've been reading they are a subset of michelin.

[thumb]http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/bfg-20507_w.jpg[/thumb]

the other is a set of BF Goodrich G-Force sports for 438 out the door.

[thumb]http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/images/ts-dl/tires/large/g-force-sport.jpg[/thumb]

I'm running the Riken's. Nice tire, handle well, thick side walls, high(50psi) pressure rating, good tread design. Handle well in wet conditions, and hard to break loose. Probably my favorite tire so far, and I've run Kumho's(meh) and Federal's(meh). I got 245 40 zr17's for $450 mounted and balanced.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
thanks for the input guys! I woulda considered the Rikens if I had known more about them. Tire racks rating system really helped me along with the Firestones, BFGs, and Kumhos in comparison.

I should have my new ASXs by the 4th, the 6th at the latest, according to the UPS time estimate. Coming from Reno so it's close and shouldn't take long at all. :) Maybe I'll post pictures when I get them....or when I get them mounted.......

I need to polish my rims pretty badly though...and i'm not sure how.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
black89t;1142974 said:
the AA means it has the higher tractiion rating in that series (ultra high performance all-season). where a single A in a ultra higher performance summer tire will out grip the AA in the ultra high performance all-season. even though it appears to have worse traction. its for camparing tires in that catigory. just how a regular all-season might have AA traction, but it won't out grip any of the above.

Good to know, thanks ;)

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
good choice man.

we might just have to meet up one of these days considering your the only other person on here that lives by me. today i got to pull this 240sx motor out of this guys part car so i can get the 5spd for my dad (his output shaft snaped in half). pm me when you want to meet up sometime. it would be fun to cruise with two black supras. plus the weather has been way nice.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
One of the other reasons I got the ASX is because they had a good snow rating. Supra is DD, I live in IL, we get snow XD

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
Moy;1144290 said:
One of the other reasons I got the ASX is because they had a good snow rating. Supra is DD, I live in IL, we get snow XD

Yeah we get hail here, and cold icy roads, so Its a good choice for me too in that respect. not really snow though, just ONCE in the years i've lived here.

black89t;1144096 said:
good choice man.

we might just have to meet up one of these days considering your the only other person on here that lives by me. today i got to pull this 240sx motor out of this guys part car so i can get the 5spd for my dad (his output shaft snaped in half). pm me when you want to meet up sometime. it would be fun to cruise with two black supras. plus the weather has been way nice.

thanks man. Haha, ONLY cause I'm all you've got? thanks a bunch ;)

Yeah weather has been nice, but will turn to SHIT on friday!! i'm done with midterms this week though so yeah i'd be up for that. Hey since we're talking, is your old (or new?) supra in this video out on Samoa? check it at approx :45 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GgyepqP9pc a friend asked if it was me and i figured it might actually be you.

I know of two other supra owners I want to contact some time or another. Maybe buy one of their cars someday. One is a great looking 89+ silver turbo, the other is a two-tone tan/brown pre-89...both I want. haha.

OH and if we cruise sometime I'd like to buy some little parts off your old car if you still have it. just some minor stuff I think you'll have.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
thats my new car. something must have happened. i think i missed third in that one because i'm positive i have beat that bmer. that still cool to see. this coming spring my car should be pretty quick compared to how it is now. i can't wait. lol.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
OK shipping is pretty weird but if it's the most efficient route...whatever?

My tires went from Sparks, NV
to Sacramento CA,
to Sylmar CA,
and then to Phoenix, AZ!

I live up by Eureka, CA.
MY TIRES ARE GOING SOUTH FOR THE WINTER!

LOL.

I assume this is the most logical shipping route but it is still funny...

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i love how they do that, its almost worse than when i was in paintball and bought something off of a guy in kansas, he wrote VA so it looked like WA and my package went all around the country :D