Buying a budget tire, anyone tried these? (I picked/purchased already, thanks guys)

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
4 pages?! what do you have your settings at 10 per page?! bump that shit to 50.

get the kumho's and you'll be good to go!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I know a bunch of vette guys running ASX's...

They're damn good all season tires, and are better in the snow than the SPT's (though the SPT's are a bit better in the wet).

I also noticed you talked about the BFGoodrich G-Force Sports. Thore are VERY good tires as well (they're called G-force for a reason because in testing they where able to pull a G on a skidpad, at least in the magazine article I read).

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Poodles;1142597 said:
I know a bunch of vette guys running ASX's...

They're damn good all season tires, and are better in the snow than the SPT's (though the SPT's are a bit better in the wet).

Agree!

I have the SPT's. Since we have alot more rain than snow, I went with them over the ASXs because my research indicated the SPTs were better in rain. Love 'em so far, haven't fishtailed the car yet..

Compared them to the BF G-Forces, and the price difference was huge. Paid like $370 for all 4 SPTs installed, lifetime balance/rotation. Chose a garage in a nearby small town, saved me $150 over any place in the metro area.

My research also showed that the SPT's are discontinued, so if you find 'em, check the mfr dates on the tires. Geez, after seeing that video on here, check the dates of all the tires before you buy!!!

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
^^ what video????

and also, what model of G-force are we talking?

I ask cause the semi-helpful (didn't try hard) Costco salesman quoted me two VERY different prices on two different levels of G-force tires. the Super Sports passed 500 (yikes) and the other was about 430ish on the Sports IIRC. (I can look but i dont have the paper in front of me)

and tire rack has a few styles as well...

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
ZoomZoomZoom;1142632 said:
Agree!

I have the SPT's. Since we have alot more rain than snow, I went with them over the ASXs because my research indicated the SPTs were better in rain. Love 'em so far, haven't fishtailed the car yet..

Compared them to the BF G-Forces, and the price difference was huge. Paid like $370 for all 4 SPTs installed, lifetime balance/rotation. Chose a garage in a nearby small town, saved me $150 over any place in the metro area.

My research also showed that the SPT's are discontinued, so if you find 'em, check the mfr dates on the tires. Geez, after seeing that video on here, check the dates of all the tires before you buy!!!

discontinued already? damn, and i had just found a cheap tire that i liked :D

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Figit090;1142689 said:
spt's discontinued? uhhhh....... really? or is that a different style?

Aside from that there's even another; http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Kumho&model=Ecsta+SPT+XRP

Actually, I checked Kumho's website (the only way to verify) and they are still listed. Perhaps my supplier was going to no longer carry them, thus the "discontinued" comment. So far, I would buy them again, so I'm not complaining.

Scary video on tire dates:
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerindex?id=4826897

I checked my two kumhos whose dates I could read, and they were dated same week in 2005. I purchased these tires spring of 2008.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Clip;1142048 said:
i've read several places that these ratings differ between manufacturers, and should only be used within the same brand name to compare tires. if they are used between brands, they should only be used as a rough estimate.

is there truth to this?

As far as I know, the ratings such as UTQG, heat, traction, are all government stuff done under very specific curcumstances. So they should be a decent relative comparison across all brands... but, the grades are basically "Excellent" "Good" "Decent" "Not Quite So Good" "Not Great"... so take it for what it's worth. UTQG is probably the most useful number, the other two you could pretty much tell just by looking at the tire as to what it was intended for and what it'll probably take.

black89t;1142466 said:
"420" treadware :rofl:.

better traction and practically same treadware.

what a tire.

The 420 "should" have a higher traction rating the a 460, unless the tire is better at doing something other than the government test. The "AA" traction rating doesn't really mean all that much in the real world.

My Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's (220 UTQG) appear to be a regular street tire, but have an AA traction rating. An RT615 looks like a near-slick and has an A traction rating. I'm sure the RT615 (200 UTQG) probably does something better than the PS2's, but I don't know what that something is... other than cost ALOT less :biglaugh: I'd rather have the michelins in the rain, I'll say that much.

Reading reviews from a large selection of people who've driven on the tires is a good indication of how they work in extreme conditions. It's usually fairly easy to see through the bullshit and the half-wits too. Tirerack is great for reviews.

BFG tires are generally packed full of win... I've hardly heard anyone complain about any of their tire lines. My next tires for my truck will be BFG A/T

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
the AA means it has the higher tractiion rating in that series (ultra high performance all-season). where a single A in a ultra higher performance summer tire will out grip the AA in the ultra high performance all-season. even though it appears to have worse traction. its for camparing tires in that catigory. just how a regular all-season might have AA traction, but it won't out grip any of the above.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I just put Kumho Ecsta ASX all seasons on my car about a week ago. 225/50 R 16. Z-Rated. Bought through TireRack for I want to say around 320 or so. The traction is amazing! It was pouring rain the other day and I hammered it on a hard right and the back end barely kicked out. Definitely worth the price

MA70Supra88

Boostless
Mar 31, 2005
Boerne, TX
I've had ASX's on my car for about a year now and they have been great. Driven in the snow and heavy rain without an issue. I'll buy them again.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
yeah great video, but what about online tire orders? I bet they come from a huge warehouse and I can't exactly check the date on the tire....

I'm pretty set on the Kumho's now, considering the BF Goodrich G-force sport's are a summer tire, and I get lots of rain, sometimes hail, and ice spots where I live. It does look like a great tire, and has a wide contact patch, but the Kuhmo ASX's look nice too :)

OH I almost forgot, how is noise with these tires? I've read a few reviews that say they get noisy after a few thousand miles.

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Kumho's as they wear out make more noise (as do all tires since the siping in lost). The SPT's are noisy because of their design...

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
MA70Supra88;1143302 said:
I've had ASX's on my car for about a year now and they have been great. Driven in the snow and heavy rain without an issue. I'll buy them again.

You drove your sup in the snow with them?

Sounds like a death-wish to me..