Buying a 1JZ... need a pointer or 2

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
I just blew up my old 7MGE and am getting ready to put in a 1JZ or 7MGTE. I found this 1JZ on ebay and wanted to know if any1 that has done the swap could shoot me a pointer or 2.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-...tegoryZ33615QQihZ010QQitemZ200072289906QQrdZ1

I'm puting it in my 1986.5 N/A . Anything specefic I should look out for when doing this particular swap?

Any input would be helpful... I am going to 'Buy it now' tomarrow or tonite I think:naughty:

HIDPLANET

89 1JZGTE
Well before you do that, let some of the swap pros here tell you what it takes.
Many say that you will end up spending a lot more if you dont buy an entire clip versus jiust the engine and trans. May want to consider a clip so you have all associated parts for the swap.

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
1JZ Motor mount adapter brackets
These custom made brackets allow you to drop in a 1JZ or 2JZ into your pre '89 MKIII Supra, without swapping crossmembers. The brackets are made from 3/16 steel plate, built to withstand any amount of horsepower you can throw at them. They allow use of your pre '89 crossmember and the older, square-style motor mounts that are a lot stronger than the +'89 round-style mounts. Included are new, shorter bolts to attach the brackets to the engine block. Prices include shipping within Canada or USA.

Price $175 Shipping included

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
shit for that price, it might be almost worth paying the extra 600 for the full clip, this way you can swap crossmembers, and have the tach that you need, along with the full hydrofan assembly.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
you should check out driftmotion.com don't try to go cheap way you'll run into trouble like me. i regret not buying a whole clip now comes w/ a lot more to make it easier.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
ok? what's the post about the mount brackets for? you were going to need those regardless of which route you took. I talk with Jose and Aaron about this all the time... People always buy 'great deals' on engines and sets off ebay and end up spending more once it's all said and done.

I don't see an intercooler in those pictures of list of 'things included.' I don't see IC pipes. I don't see any power steering or hydro fan resevoirs or the lines from the fan resevoir. I don't see a radiator and it looks like both radiator hoses are cut. What about the hydro fan ECU? Hell, what about the HYDRO FAN itself?

It says alot of other things are included, but if they're not in the pictures, how do you really know? If I had a nickel for everytime someone bought a 'full' engine set and got it, STILL didn't have the parts they needed that were supposed to be there and took forever to get them from... well I'd have a lot of nickels.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
ummm i got a good deal on my engine set from JOHT imports on ebay

i got EVERYTHING i need even after sourcing other parts for under 2200

all these people complaining about sourcing stuff and how much money they spend on 1J swaps and 10K to do a 2J swap in a ma70 but i will finish my swap INCLUDING my shell and everything for 3300 bucks

and tissimo spent MAYBE 3K for his 2J swap MAYBE a little more

i just dont get where people get these numbers from???? apparently they dont know how to source parts well

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
The Reaper said:
ummm i got a good deal on my engine set from JOHT imports on ebay

i got EVERYTHING i need even after sourcing other parts for under 2200
jhot is one of the more reputable places people buy from, it seems. Some people get lucky with all the stuff they need, some don't. I wouldn't roll my dice on the set that was posted above.

you spent 2200 and you KNOW you got everything. the one above is 2150 and it doesn't seem to garuntee everything you need to complete the swap.

btw, I see an upgraded downpipe and boost controller on that engine set. hope the turbos aren't blown already.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
yea i did get lucky the engine is CLEAN beautiful and everything looks flawless on it the only thing i was missing was a hydrofan which wasn't a big deal but ITR hooked me up with that so now i have everything

edit:: wow yea it doesn't even show a pic of the ECU or Ignitor or nothing

me myself i wouldn't suggest this one

i mean you could email them and ask them to send you pics of all the stuff together before purchasing but JHOT had a pic of EVERYTHING except i got a (what appears to be) brand new fuel pump hanger and fuel pump with it and it wasn't in the pics.....

edit again:: look

5SP TRANSMISSION
ECU (Computer)
INTAKE MANIFOLD
EXAUSTED MANIFOLD
ALTERNATOR

it comes with a Sleepy Manifold LOL

Last edited:

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
The Reaper said:
yea i did get lucky the engine is CLEAN beautiful and everything looks flawless on it the only thing i was missing was a hydrofan which wasn't a big deal but ITR hooked me up with that so now i have everything

yeah. I saw your set you got. looks like you bought at the right time.

as I said in my previous post, there's always threads or posts by people who are missing parts for their 1J swap. Missing things here and there can easily add up to $500+ real fast. just looking at the one posted I pointed out no fan, no fan ecu, no IC, no IC pipes, no resevoirs, no lines for the resevoirs, no radiator, cut radiator hoses. all that stuff adds up to a decent amount. Unless the seller can say over the phone without a shadow of a doubt all those things are there, who knows what will show up or won't show up when it's shipped. super important things like the map sensor can easily be lost or never shipped. there's 100-200 right there for a little part.

edit: dang you pointed out the ignitor too. I missed that. well there's another 100-200 dollars to add :rofl:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I would call buying an incomplete engine set "jumping over dollars to get to pennies".

The money you save on the set in the beginning, will be lost plus more buying all the missing items you will need. The set was $2200, then how many hours to source out all the missing parts, and how much money spent buying those parts?

We don't have a clip available right now, just want to save him some time and money. Buy a clip from Jarco or Jhot if they have one available, but the engine set might be more hassle then it's worth.

Last edited:

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
well my set was 1900 shipped and i only need the BIC mounts and hydro fan and the fan ecu i bought from you guys thats all i needed

i dont include the exhaust and crap into my prices cause EVERY car needs that swap or not

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
623nutswinger.gif

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
The Reaper said:
well my set was 1900 shipped and i only need the BIC mounts and hydro fan and the fan ecu i bought from you guys thats all i needed

i dont include the exhaust and crap into my prices cause EVERY car needs that swap or not

I understand, but your situation was the exception, not the rule. We have spoken with hundereds of people about their engine swaps, and they don't usually end up as cheap as yours. When I talk on the forum I am saying what I think will apply to the majority of people, there are always exceptions, and I'm obviously not always right.

Last edited: