busted diff? or fried rings??

ThirstyMKthrice

Feb 26, 2008
Austin, TX
www.myspace.com
i have an 89 supra turbo, 5 speed. most of the time if i sat at a red light for a bit i would start to put out a bit of smoke. well now if i sit at a light it shoots COULDS of smoke all over the place. blueish tint but also gray and white smoke in there too. i can smell something burning as it does this too. i looked around under the car cause the smoke doesnt seem to just come out of the exhaust. it goes everywhere. while inspecting it i see that my diff is real dirty and had some droplets forming on it. sometimes during my shifting i hear a pop and it feels like my car just got rear endend. i dont know much about differentials and i tried to search but couldnt find anything like this. thanks for your time. the reason i think it may be my internals is cause it was after i did an oil change using royal purple. the car doesnt shoot smoke as i drive though. sometimes it seems to smog out the back seats while driving though.

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
Exhaust leaks? Backfire? Burning oil (valve seals?), BHG burning coolant? Is the pop like a grinding metal/metal pop or an explosion pop, like a backfire? What does it smell like?

ThirstyMKthrice

Feb 26, 2008
Austin, TX
www.myspace.com
the pop sounds like.... it reminds me of trying to tow something, you get on the gas and then when all the slack in the tow line is gone its like "clunk". its not really loud its more of a feeling, hard to explain. it smells of oil, and thats what scares me. i need to do a compression test bad, but i dont have the tools. the car has always backfired though. its only when im letting off the clutch, it happens once every 5 or so shifts. i let the clutch out and POP and i get lunged forward for a second. for the records when the pop occurs after the shift i am about 80% on throttle
further details----When i was changing my oil it was almost impossible to get the oil filter off. dont know if it helps but thought id throw it in there

SevenMKIII

Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
Are you sure you don't have a vacuum leak? That would cause your car to run rich resulting in your backfiring.

How many miles are on the motor? It's not uncommon for higher mileage motors to have bad valve seals. That will cause you to burn oil, which is what you could be smelling and seeing (smoke). Change the gasket and it will not leak anymore, that is nothing to hold your breath over.

For some reason I doubt there is anything wrong with your diff. They are pretty stout from the factory given your car is [I am assuming] stock.

A compression tester is only ~$15-20 at your local auto parts store. If you have ever changed your spark plugs, you can do a compression test. PM me if you would like instructions on how to do that. That will tell you a lot more information than most beginners realize.

I don't think your filter being too tight has much to do with your problems...nor does putting Royal Purple oil in your car. Royal Purple is a good oil to use, you can find more about it in a write-up elsewhere on this site.

All in all, your symptoms could be from many different things. Your piston rings could be blown and you could just have massive blow-by. But you can rule that out if you do a compression test and get decent results. I hope that helps, I tried to give my amateur opinion on most of your problems.

ThirstyMKthrice

Feb 26, 2008
Austin, TX
www.myspace.com
i knew i had a vacuum leak, or boost leak (cant get passed 9psi) but i had no idea it might cause this. the car isnt stock though. ive got an HKS FCD (about to get rid of it) 3inch turbo back catless exhaust, aftermarket bov, upgraded air filter. the chassis has 177k the guy i got it from, who probably lied his ass off, says the motor was a swaped and rebuilt and only has 40k on it (BS!) i can do a compression test myself, i just didnt know they were that cheap lol. how could i check these valve seals? thanks for the input

SevenMKIII

Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
1) Remove the FCD asap
2) Locate and repair your vacuum leak
3) Make sure you are re-routing your bov to the stock intake!! If you are venting without having a speed density setup you are just shooting yourself in the foot.
4) Check out/replace 02 sensor with a good, OEM piece. That could greatly effect whether your car is running lean/rich.

You don't want to go too much past 9psi on your stock motor anyway. Once your FCD is taken off (*immediately*) you should be hitting fuel cut within 11-13~psi, it is different for everyone. Fuel cut is there for a reason, do not take it for granted. It's telling you that you are doing something you shouldn't be, in lamens terms.

What upgraded air filter are you using? Please don't say eBay...

ThirstyMKthrice

Feb 26, 2008
Austin, TX
www.myspace.com
i really wanna get rid of the fcd, it was on when i bought the car, but wires confuse me bad, i'll man up and hit it up tomorrow

ive tried several times to find my vac leak. im missing most of the lines too.

my bov is placed on the 3000 pipe and i plugged the other end into one of my empty vac lines. the one by the TPS (my bad i guess)

and 02 sensors are a great idea, im saving to get myself a daily driver right now though.

i only wanted to boost it to 11-12PSI i just want to be able to go past 10 lol

my air filter is the apexi' non ebay. it seems like a hoss

i have not done any of these upgrades to it myself, it came like this from someone who had no idea what they were doing. i actually traded my integra (only had intake and headers) for it. when i test drove it my mind was blown. id never touched a car that was badass, i know i chose wrong. but im gonna get this fixed. thanks for the advice

SevenMKIII

Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
ThirstyMKthrice;955961 said:
ive tried several times to find my vac leak. im missing most of the lines too. May I suggest Hose Techniques silicone vacuum hose kit? http://www.suprasport.com/HoseTechniques-kit-_p_59-180.html

my bov is placed on the 3000 pipe and i plugged the other end into one of my empty vac lines. the one by the TPS (my bad i guess) I'm assuming you mean you installed it in the factory location? But is it venting to the atmosphere or is there a hose connected to it leading back into your intake a.k.a. accordian pipe to your turbo?

thanks for the advice No problem, glad I could help :)

ThirstyMKthrice

Feb 26, 2008
Austin, TX
www.myspace.com
the bov goes to the atmosphere. it comes outa the 3000 pipe and then the other end is into a vac ine near the tps. i plugged the hole in the accordian pipe up were the stock one is supposed to go. the lid for a coke bottle actually fit perfectly and i clamped it down

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
You need to change the flanged end thats venting to atmosphere to accommodate a hose to re-route into the accordion intake stock location.