Burning rubber smell

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
I did a search and found a few threads with similar a issue, but there was no follow up or post by the OP as to what the actual problem was.

When I went to put my car on the road about 4 weeks ago, the only thing it needed to pass safety was the drive shaft carrier bearing. So I put one in. I made sure I installed it correctly.

Since I've started to drive the car on a regular basis, on occasion (not all the time), I can smell a burning rubber smell coming from the mid-rear of the car when I'm at a stop light (with windows down) or when I park the car. The tires are not hot and the alignment is good, so I know it's not the tires. All the rear axle boots and good too. Rear end is not leaking and I also replaced the rear output shaft seal on the trans, so that isn't dripping anymore either.

The only thing I can think of is the new carrier bearing. Do these produce a rubber smell at times? If it's brand new, why would it be "burning"? I feel no drag on the drivetrain at all, it drives and coasts very smooth. No unusual noises except the alternator which sounds like a centrifugal supercharger which I'm expecting to seize any day now...lol.

Any ideas?

Thanks. :)