Burning Oil, How?

nosman4

Nov 10, 2007
Bend, Oregon
I just built my motor and have about 500 miles on it, but it burns some oil. I don't see any evidence of oil burning on the plugs and I assume it's not valve seals since it is a remanufactured head. No smoke on startup either. The turbo felt a little excessive on free play when I had the motor out, so my question is, is the oil coming from the turbo. The only time I can actually see the puff of smoke is coming to a stop, pushing the clutch in, and letting off the gas. Just as the rpms come down some smoke comes out. It is blue smoke. Is this caused by turbo seals going bad? I do get a little bit of smoke on acceleration, but it isn't easy to see unless you are on a dyno. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Ian

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
nosman4;1006093 said:
I just built my motor and have about 500 miles on it, but it burns some oil. I don't see any evidence of oil burning on the plugs and I assume it's not valve seals since it is a remanufactured head. No smoke on startup either. The turbo felt a little excessive on free play when I had the motor out, so my question is, is the oil coming from the turbo. The only time I can actually see the puff of smoke is coming to a stop, pushing the clutch in, and letting off the gas. Just as the rpms come down some smoke comes out. It is blue smoke. Is this caused by turbo seals going bad? I do get a little bit of smoke on acceleration, but it isn't easy to see unless you are on a dyno. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Ian

Are you venting your bypass/blowoff valve to atmosphere or recirculating?

_

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
Poodles;1006262 said:
how is your PCV setup?

The rings might not be fully broken in either...

nosman4;1006093 said:
No smoke on startup either.

Then it's not oil.

nosman4;1006093 said:
The only time I can actually see the puff of smoke is coming to a stop, pushing the clutch in, and letting off the gas.

Then it's not the rings.

nosman4;1006093 said:
It is blue smoke.

That is fuel.

_

nosman4

Nov 10, 2007
Bend, Oregon
Blue smoke is oil and Black smoke is fuel. I am venting to atmosphere, but that wouldn't affect the oil burning, because it is not fuel it's oil. I am burning noticeable amounts when I check it every 100 miles. PCV is set up in the stock formation.

nosman4

Nov 10, 2007
Bend, Oregon
tlo86 - I am using a SAE30 oil still, I am going to run that until 1000 miles and switch to synthetic.

Nick_M - Elaborate on what you mean by Dash pot adjusted correctly. Why would this cause it to burn oil?

I am going to do a compression test tomorrow just to see if it is fine. I'll add more tomorrow.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Never seen a rich gasoline mixture burn white. Transmission fluid and antifreeze burn white.

Excess fuel burns black.

Oil burns blue.

How were your rings broken in? What kind of rings did you install?

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Lots of oil will burn white as well..I know this from having a valve guide problem.

How have you been breaking the motor in? Putting it under load and engine breaking? Do a compression test. Then do a wet compression test.

Could be the turbo, my turbo burns a little oil(which is pretty common.) Doesnt really smoke but i can smell it sometimes when i come to a stop.

nosman4

Nov 10, 2007
Bend, Oregon
The piston rings were broken in on the dyno. According to RREVmotorsports, this works really well since the dyno loads the rings on accel and decel. I believe the rings are seated, but I will do a comp test today and get back to you guys. Yeah, I can smell the oil everytime I come to a stop and a majority of the time I can see it pass my window.

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
With all due respect... Everyone needs to re-read the first post.

The puff of smoke on decel is a/f going rich momentarily because he is venting to atmosphere. Period.

If he is burning oil on decel, explain to me why there is no smoke at startup. If oil gets into the combustion chamber on decel there would be residual oil left after shutdown. If it's the turbo leaking oil you will have oil in the intercooler piping. Do you?

Now, after reading his most recent post it would appear that the "puff" of smoke has now become a cloud large enough to see rolling past the drivers window and heavy enough that he can smell it. Is there any other descriptive info that may be helpfull? Are you sure there is not an oil leak?

Let us know. :icon_bigg

_

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
Doward;1006829 said:
Never seen a rich gasoline mixture burn white. Transmission fluid and antifreeze burn white.

Excess fuel burns black.

Oil burns blue.

How were your rings broken in? What kind of rings did you install?

air cooled engine in a go kart (briggs 5 hp) was running extremely rich, carb was fucked up beyond repair and every time we'd start it up and get on/off the gas it would smoke white, and a lot of it. im talking:

cumulonimbus3_small.jpg

nosman4

Nov 10, 2007
Bend, Oregon
Ok guys, I will try to explain it the best I can. I did a compression test and all cylinders were 160psi. I was trying to pinpoint exactly when it smoked, while I was driving home from work today and noticed a few things. I was cruising at about 45mph and let off the gas, no smoke came out, I stayed off the gas for 5 secs, but right as I would touch the pedal and the throttle would open a puff of smoke would come out. It didn't matter how much I opened the throttle plate I could just barely open it and it would puff out some smoke. I did this a few times and it did the same thing. This is probably the same thing that is happening as I come to a stop. The idle control valve is opening as the engine slows down and a puff of smoke comes out. It isn''t really a cloud of smoke that rolls by the car when I stop. It's just enough to be seen and sometimes I can only smell it.
Aspec- I can see why you think it was the BOV to atmosphere, because I didn't give a good enough description, but I just noticed the above info while coming home today. Sorry to mislead.
I also don't know if there is oil in the lower intercooler pipe/intercooler, but I am going to pull the pipe off tomorrow and see.

Any more ideas with the new description guys?

Thanks for all the help so far,
Ian

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The dash pot is an emission control device that will help burn the fuel left from decel. There is a process in the repair manual for checking/adjusting.

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
nosman4;1007826 said:
Aspec- I can see why you think it was the BOV to atmosphere, because I didn't give a good enough description, but I just noticed the above info while coming home today. Sorry to mislead.
I also don't know if there is oil in the lower intercooler pipe/intercooler, but I am going to pull the pipe off tomorrow and see.

No apology needed. :bigthumb:

You don't need to pull the lower IC hose to check. Just pull one of the uppers that lead to the throttle body and check for oil. :icon_bigg

_

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
How much oil have you lost? Just curious as too how much it's burning. My wife's car was doing something similar and it ended up being the turbo seals, but I can't remember if it was acting exactly like yours.

nosman4

Nov 10, 2007
Bend, Oregon
I would say I burnt about 3/4 of a quart in about 450 miles. My friend just told me tonight that it smokes more after boosting it and letting off the gas (not sure if this really happens though, because I havn't seen it myself). I also don't really have any oil to speak of in the upper IC pipes, so that is why I'm gonna pull a lower one to see if it's any different.