Burning oil and smoking after fresh rebuild!

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
There are 4 specific points of each valve cover that require the application of some sort of silicone sealant. A drop of locktite on the valve cover bolts will keep them from loosening up.

Just outta curiosity, did you apply fipg under the head gasket where the block and lower back timing cover meet? Did you remove that back cover, and if so, did you make sure the top of it and the block deck where the same height? That's a real good place for a nasty oil leak. It would run down the block either under the thermostat housing, or under the intake, or both.

You check for oil at the weep on the bottom of the lower timing cover? You have to look at it from underneath, as its behind the dampener. Is there fresh oil in the timing cover? Easy to pull the top one and check. Losing that much oil makes me think there's a seal leaking. I'd check the cam seals first. I've had issues with a few different brands fitting loosely, and either walking out or leaking profusely.

As far as the valves ticking, that's just a simple matter of changing shims. No need to pull the head for that. Your 7m mechanics should know that, and be able to fix it easily. All the specs are in the tsrm.

suprachief

Nov 7, 2008
st. john's
Hi,

I've got a similar problem. New rebuild, all new rings,seals bearings & pistons. The engine now has 600 kms on it & burned 2 litres of oil already. The head was rebuilt by a local company that specializes in cylinder head rebuilds. You can only see blue smoke on start up - I think stem seal failure. You can't see smoke once up to operating temperature or when you tromp on the gas. I feel your pain.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
suprachief;1422072 said:
Hi,

I've got a similar problem. New rebuild, all new rings,seals bearings & pistons. The engine now has 600 kms on it & burned 2 litres of oil already. The head was rebuilt by a local company that specializes in cylinder head rebuilds. You can only see blue smoke on start up - I think stem seal failure. You can't see smoke once up to operating temperature or when you tromp on the gas. I feel your pain.

Only 600k's not much, maybe it will stop after you get a few more on the motor.

thinhman

Feb 7, 2009
Garden Grove
Mine has ~2400 miles on it already. The smoking will occur at certain times and not every single time. It also does NOT puff ALOT. Just enough to notice it. It doesn't really smoke on start up though...

I have NO physical leak what so ever. So I'm certain it's not my seals. I have yet to do the leakdown test because no local place has the tester; lame.

I'll try to get back with some more updates.