Built in igniter coils?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I got some coils out of a 3.5L v6 and 5.0L v8 engines from Hyundai.

Im guessing right now that they have a built in igniter into each coil as i cannot find coils on the car or on Hyundai tech site and google comes up with non sense.

Denso coils p/n 27301-3c000.

Can they be ran on 7m stock ecu? If so how can they be wired in?

The shape of them seems like they would be perfect for the 7m but i have not had the time to test fit.

Any ideas?

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
hvyman;1615853 said:
I got some coils out of a 3.5L v6 and 5.0L v8 engines from Hyundai.

Im guessing right now that they have a built in igniter into each coil as i cannot find coils on the car or on Hyundai tech site and google comes up with non sense.

Denso coils p/n 27301-3c000.

Can they be ran on 7m stock ecu? If so how can they be wired in?

The shape of them seems like they would be perfect for the 7m but i have not had the time to test fit.

Any ideas?

I can't remember the name but the thread is called somthing like towikies c.o.p. setup. He did 7m cop but the stock setup is made for multiplexing. But If you find that thread you'll find out more of what your looking for

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
northwestsupra;1615949 said:
I can't remember the name but the thread is called somthing like towikies c.o.p. setup. He did 7m cop but the stock setup is made for multiplexing. But If you find that thread you'll find out more of what your looking for

It's stickied...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I know about that already. I would like to use the coils that i have and not spend 300+ for new coils and wiring when i already have coils, if i cant use them fine they will sit on the shelf.

There coils with built in igniters i believe and i was curious if they can be used with the stock ecu.

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
hvyman;1616020 said:
I know about that already. I would like to use the coils that i have and not spend 300+ for new coils and wiring when i already have coils, if i cant use them fine they will sit on the shelf.

There coils with built in igniters i believe and i was curious if they can be used with the stock ecu.
And I was saying you should be able to wire it up the same unless he was using the stock ignitor

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
The 7M ECU uses a multiplexed wasted spark ignition setup (IGT = Trigger, IGF = Feedback, IGDa = Channel 1, IGDb = Channel 2). You need a combination of IGT, IGDa and IGDb in order to fire a coil.

IGT and the following cause a coil to fire:
IGDa Only = Fire Coil 1
IGDb Only = Fire Coil 2
Both IGDa and IGDb = Fire Coil 3

IGF feeds back to the ECU what happened (misfire, etc.).

Compare this to a non-multiplexed wasted spark ignition setup from say a VVT-i 2JZ (IGT1, IGT2, IGT3 = Trigger, IGF = Feedback).

IGT1 = Fire Coil 1
IGT2 = Fire Coil 2
IGT3 = Fire Coil 3

IGF feeds back to the ECU.

Finally a fully sequential non-multiplexed setup like the 2JZ-GTE without VVT-i (IGT1, IGT2, IGT3, IGT4, IGT5, IGT6 = Trigger, IGF = Feedback).

IGT1 = Fire Coil 1
IGT2 = Fire Coil 2
IGT3 = Fire Coil 3
IGT4 = Fire Coil 4
IGT5 = Fire Coil 5
IGT6 = Fire Coil 6

IGF feeds back to the ECU.

Typically coils with built-in igniters will be 4-wires: +12V, Gnd, IGT, and IGF.

Basically, what I'm getting at, is that firing coils that have built-in igniters with the stock ECU is going to be pretty much impossible without some sort of conversion box, to convert the multiplexed signals the 7M-GTE ECU outputs into non-multiplexed signals that the coils can use. You will also need to combine 3 or 6 IGF return signals back into a single IGF signal for the ECU.

Jeff

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
That being said, from what I can see online, it seems that Denso 27301-3C000 coils may in fact by 2-wire coils, which would basically require the same wiring as a 2JZ-GTE without VVT-i setup, which would also be quite tricky.

Jeff

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
northwestsupra;1616117 said:
And I was saying you should be able to wire it up the same unless he was using the stock ignitor

It's uses 6 coils vs 3. So I wouldn't think it would work like that