Building a Widebody Quicksilver JZA80 (Now with New pics!)

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Chronikbooster5;1267859 said:
Great thread man i was just wondering if you did the machine work yourself or if you have a friend in the biz and im not too sure but i thought i read somewhere in the thread that you got the vehicle from canada how difficult is it too get a rhd j spec soup imported again magnificent thread much props

Machine work was done at a machine shop. Money was paid for the services rendered.

I am in Canada... the vehicle came from Japan...

Jeff

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
new_wheels1.jpg

OMG!!!!........:drool::drool::drool::drool:

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
I like the hidden haltech idea, A LOT :)
I'd advise you to provide some venting ports though if you left the haltech within it's own case, heat can play some nasty tricks on electronics.
-Dave

hung_lo

Sep 12, 2008
Burnaby
Mr.PFloyd;1237011 said:
where are the pictures of the jza80 lange? :D

Picture Frodo from Lord of the Rings with normal ears.

You are halfway there. lol.

Jeff Lange;1248158 said:
The 2 main differences are; 1, that it doesn't need a gasket, so you can take it off and on as many time as you want, haha. 2, that you can clock the entire turbocharger on the manifold so you can position it exactly where you want it, no need to cut and weld the flange, etc. Plus it's just cool, so there's that too.

As for how fast it will spool on a 2JZ, not sure. I haven't actually seen many 2JZ's with a GT35R, so I'm not really sure. Once this thing is tuned though, I'll be sure to let you know ;).

Jason and Fidel did James' car. It was a 35R with Autronic and a VVT-i engine.

You should ask them how that car did for power and spool

suprahero;1268198 said:

Dude, your bro is such a baller.

What's gonna happen to the Z31 now?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Okay, so I ordered the European-spec glass headlights and TRD sway bars today. Should be nice to get rid of those stupid yellow plastic RHD headlights!

Pics to come!

Jeff

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Well, this thread wasn't updated very much since last I posted things have changed a bit. After a few more problems the car now has a different block, a couple new pistons and a new rod.

Also have a TRD widebody to go on, including the spoiler, as well as a Top Secret FRP hood. Jason is also now getting ready to build a cage for the car as well.

Still having issues at this point with the engine management, but hoping that this will fix the rest of them:

harness1.jpg

harness2.jpg

harness3.jpg

Just came in today. After experiencing voltage fluctuations and sensor glitches with the old harness, it seemed prudent to replace it. I have a feeling the harness was the reason we ended up needing to replace the block and a piston and rod.

Jeff

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
supra90turbo;1421080 said:
So many new parts, mods, new Toyota parts.... it's just overwhelming. I'm jealous :)

I would be too, if it actually worked properly.

Hopefully once the harness is in, problems will be taken care of.

I believe one of the injectors wasn't getting a good enough signal and leaned out, causing a melting situation, requiring a new block, piston, and rod.

Jeff

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
Well you could roll it onto the lawn in front of your brother's shop. It might make for some good advertisement. After it's washed of though, its a bit dirty now.

Its almost as bad as the beat up old celica on the hoist!

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Well, since it was winter yet again, projects must happen, haha. My brother decided he wanted to build something, so he made a new manifold and changed out to a GT42R instead of the GT35R that was in there.

Building the collector:
collector1.jpg

collector3.jpg

Putting it all together into a manifold:
newmanifold1.jpg

The new GT42R mounted in place. Welded up the coolant ports on the upper water neck, polished it and then added a braided coolant line for the turbo to the bottom of it:
newturbo3.jpg

Complete with a Tial wastegate:
newturbo2.jpg

Also got a new Hypertune intake manifold, with fuel rail and some 1200cc injectors (HKS rail and prior Denso Sard 800cc injectors would not mount to the new manifold unfortunately :():
hypertune1.jpg

hypertune2.jpg

The way it sits currently, a few things are obviously still needed. I have a new firewall insulator on order in Japan, it's RHD so it has to be shipped over here. Some cleaning and so on also still needs to happen:
installed6.jpg

Going with 3 Denso in-tank pumps as well, those will be here soon. Also have some TRD engine/tranny mounts on the way as well. Need to get this thing buttoned up.

Hope this update finds you well ;).

Jeff

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
^ Agreed that's beautiful. Nice work and look forward to the dyno results of the hard work you've obviously put in.:icon_bigg