Build question

IRONMAN

Sep 7, 2012
Mobile
Hey I'm slightly new to supras and slightly new to the forums and was wondering how to see peoples mods lists and or if someone could give me a mod list and a horsepower/ torque rating. I would really appreciate it. I have a supra that I want to build but am not sure what all to do. Money is not a factor.

bandit1730

May 19, 2012
Miami FL 33181
IRONMAN;1959310 said:
Hey I'm slightly new to supras and slightly new to the forums and was wondering how to see peoples mods lists and or if someone could give me a mod list and a horsepower/ torque rating. I would really appreciate it. I have a supra that I want to build but am not sure what all to do. Money is not a factor.

Here is an old thread on "MKIII Turbo Staged Modification Guide". It dates back to 2005 (I wish we had an updated version here on SM or any of the other forums).

http://www.thesupraforums.com/showthread.php?t=1

About money not being a factor.... The Supra game is a "money pit" and you will never ever recover even half of your investment if you ever decide to sell your finished/un-finished MKIII (not the same with MKIV, but if rumors are true about Toyota's MKV, that will also change in a blink of an eye). I am not new to Supras since I have owned two, but I am new to the build/restore game as well. Here, I will share a few tips learned the hard way.

1) Take your time and research.

2) When ready to buy your project car, apply tip #1 and consider buying a "ready to go" car from a reputable member here or any other Supra forum (If I knew then what I know now, I would have purchased a "ready to go" car. It could take years to finally be able to drive it once you start restoring/building. Rather, "spend time on the Track than on the Jack"). Also, take in consideration the amount of specialty tools you will need (by the time I'm done with my project, I could easily open up a repair shop with all the tools I've had to buy).

Note: I think SM Member/Moderator "hvyman" still has a car for sale. I can assure you that this car was done right 100%.

3) When buying parts, apply tip #1 as well and don't rush into buying parts you are not ready to install or think you might need down the road. The reason for this is that you will buy something and shelve it for a few months and then realize while trying to install it that it's the wrong part or in most case scenario, your updated/latest build setup doesn't require it (build goals are not written in stone). By then, your return/exchange window might be long gone (then it is time to take a loss and do a CL, eBay or a For Sale forum listing).

4) Dedicate a PayPal account and also get a credit card extension on one of your current cards to keep track of your project spending and purchases (Will ask you in a few months if you still think that money is not a factor).

5) While wrenching and building your car, don't cut corners as it will come back and bite you in the rear (and again, apply tip #1).

6) While you are at tip #5, have your 6-pack of beers after you have shelved your tools and avoid personal injuries, improper assembly, broken vehicle parts (not to mention broken body parts), etc...

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of tips here (started the restoration 22 moths ago), but I'm sure other embers will post their one cent contribution.

Let the games begin!!

IRONMAN

Sep 7, 2012
Mobile
I already have 15000 into it. I bought it with a blown headgasket and rebuilt it. (bored 40 over and upgraded CT26 with afpr). Then a turbo oil seal blew out (Shotty work from the shop) and I rebuilt the turbo and got another drop in engine to get back on the road and added a 255lph because the old pump busted. Well I am continuously having leaks (oil) with this engine and am getting tired of it and want to do it the right way. A complete rebuilt with new turbo, internals, larger injectors, etc. I just want to know that I won't forget anything. I want to completely re-do the whole thing with no rigging (previous owner), no mess, no old parts, just all new setup ith everything triple checked for security. I want to drive my supra again and not worry about it breaking down every 10 miles because of a leak, or a plug, or a sensor (all of which are new but all of which till give errors), or anything. Any guidance or anything would be helpful.

ca91mkIII

May 23, 2012
Franklin
I can speak from experience on this having just put my Supra back on the road after roughly a ten month build. I highly recommend upgrading anything inside the engine as I am sure you are wanting to do. Do lots of research on what other people are upgrading and to what brands. Also, figure out your goals, power wise, and find out what components have to be upgraded to meet those goals. I probably have about as much time researching as I do actually turning wrenches. DON'T overlook the small things because it is a small component. Finally RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH. You want to make sure you are educated on what you are doing and not expecting someone else to tell you you are missing a component. I wasted at least a few hundred dollars because I wasn't as educated as I thought I was and ended up paying to have the block decked twice because I forgot the front timing cover and thought if I was missing something important, the machine shop would inform me.