Budget Intercooler Sprayer Write Up

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Well there was some interest on a thread about putting together a budget intercooler sprayer so I thought i would put together a write up on the setup that I used.

First off the supplies:

The small 12ft mister system set available at ACE Hardware for $12-18
A 1/4'' to 3/8'' straight brass barbed fitting $4
Black spray paint $4
400 grit sand paper or other abrasive material
Black thin zipties

Step One:
The first thing I did was cut the rubber hose from my windshield washer sprayer or the one for the back sprayer and flushed out the container of all debris. I would fill it up with a hose, let it over flow then I would run the motor in 20 second intervals to drain the tank. ( You don't want to over heat the pump) Once you think the pump is nice and clean then your ready to move on

Step Two:
You take the kit out of the box and you see that there are 5 nozzles and 5 brass sprayers. You have to keep in mind that you will have to use the end sprayer to stop the water at the end. Go under the car and measure along the distance of you intercooler and where you want the sprayer to line up. I found 3-4 inches to be right for my set up.

Step Three:
You will want to take the nozzle housing and drill out the hole completely so that the water can flow freely to the nozzle. I didnt do this on my set up and what was left in my tank clogged up my system. So i dont have the luxury of taking the nozzles out and unclogging them.

Step Four:
Next make your cuts and install the nozzles in place and begin ruffing up the surface for the paint to adhere too. The plastic is very smooth and the paint will immediately peel off if you dont as soon as you touch it.

p1444612_1.jpg

Step Five:
Install the hose under the frame behind the bumper by fishing in very thin zipties through the holes that are available. I usually had to link 3 zipties together so that it was long enough to make a full loop

p1444612_2.jpg

p1444612_3.jpg

Step Six:
Cut the other end of the hose close to the rubber hose and insert in the brass barbed fitting.

Now you can spray your intercooler by just pushing or turning the windshield wiper fluid depending on which one you used!! No extra switches or anything.

p1444612_4.jpg

Feb 1, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Very nice mod! I have been thinking of a few things like this... But different :naughty:

jessemkiiis;1444787 said:
This is a great idea....
I wonder if I could do this and route the lines to my back tires? fill it with track bite....

Nice! :biglaugh:

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
This is a great idea....
I wonder if I could do this and route the lines to my back tires? fill it with track bite....

been there done that lol. I just used spare washer fluid assembly i had, works wonders on the street when u light those drag radials up, Nice and sticky.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
This is a great idea....

I have seen major problems with this before. Due to trackbite being so sticky, it tends to gum up the lines and nozzles very quickly. You need to frequently (after every use) run a solution through to clean it out.

BTW, nice job on the writeup, I intend to do something similar with my car.

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Sawbladz;1444743 said:
Are you running washer fluid in it or just straight water? Notice it getting the engine bay dirty at all?

No i use only water cause most fluids have a dye in them that will stain. No it doesnt interfere with the engine bay cause the mist is so fine. The pumps are pretty powerful, I was surprised. Oh and for you serious guys I was looking at getting a pressure switch to fire up the pump when you want it to spray. Well heres a good one that I found!

http://www.aquastealth.com/browseproducts/Pressure-switch.html

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
foreverpsycotic;1444834 said:
I have seen major problems with this before. Due to trackbite being so sticky, it tends to gum up the lines and nozzles very quickly. You need to frequently (after every use) run a solution through to clean it out.

BTW, nice job on the writeup, I intend to do something similar with my car.

this is so tru, it goes from spraying them evenely to just a fast drip when the nozzle get gummed up. All i have to do is remove the nozzle, spray brake clean and im good to go.

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
RiyadYar;1445147 said:
have you ever done tests to see how much this cools down the intercooler

minimum, they were test of the nx, nitrous and c02 intercooler sprayer, they work on the dyno, i think ppl were averaging a 30hp gain the most on a hot day. but on the track, it doesnt do anything. Ill try and find the article again, So if nitrous isnt doing anything, im sure water really isnt doing anything either.

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
queenskid926;1445177 said:
minimum, they were test of the nx, nitrous and c02 intercooler sprayer, they work on the dyno, i think ppl were averaging a 30hp gain the most on a hot day. but on the track, it doesnt do anything. Ill try and find the article again, So if nitrous isnt doing anything, im sure water really isnt doing anything either.

When I'm in Phoenix and its 140 air off the asphault I notice it helps a little with throttle response. Also you got to remember if your out here in the west the dew point is usually 20-40 degrees cause of so little humidity, But like I said throttle response is all I notice cause the car is so sluggish when its over 100 degrees out.

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
gurley0916;1445198 said:
When I'm in Phoenix and its 140 air off the asphault I notice it helps a little with throttle response. Also you got to remember if your out here in the west the dew point is usually 20-40 degrees cause of so little humidity, But like I said throttle response is all I notice cause the car is so sluggish when its over 100 degrees out.

u should try using rubbing alcohol, It has a tendacy of cooling things off with a quickness. its an old skool drag strip secret to spray it on intercooler, intake mani, etc in between runs. Its also posted here in the dragstrip sticky in the racing section.

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Ya I have just got to be careful to not use more than over a 50/50 mixture cause you dont want to spray flamable fluids into the engine bay lol.

dusthead

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERRRRR
Aug 10, 2009
New London, CT
yea i was just trying to think of another liquid that would do a better job than just water...

what about that methanol that was mentioned above...that vs alcohol? just a price difference?