BSV thread sizes?

skim1040

work in progress
'88 Turbo (if that makes a difference)

I'm finally getting around to installing my water temp gauge among other things, and I needed a place to put the temp. sender. So, I figured I would get rid of the charcoal canister and that whole system and put the sender in where the old BSV sits on the thermostat.
I've seen it done before, and it seems like a good place to put it, but, I need an adapter to fit my sender into the current spot and I can't for the life of me find what size threads the BSV port on the thermostat are.

Also, anybody know any good places that would carry such thread adapters? Hardware store? Advanced? Napa?

Thanks in advance
-Skim

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Removing the charcoal canister isn't a good idea.

Use the search button to find out why.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
I did a quick search and found out all of the ports on a 7M thermostat housing are 3/8" BSP. Now I also did some more searching and found out that M16 X 1.5 is the thread size of 3/8" BSP. So you want a 3/8" BSP male --> 1/8" NPT female fitting (electric gauge sender size). Sunpro makes a cheap metric adaptor kit part # CP7573, $7 from autozone. You can also get a metric adaptor kit from autometer but it's like $20.

Don't take out the Bimetallic Vacuum Switching Valve (aka BVSV). I used the sensor for the A/C switch as my A/C compressor belt is MIA.

There are so many acronyms NPT, BSP, BSPT, BSPP, it gets confusing quick. All I know is the ports on the thermostat housing are NOT tapered. So that makes it BSP. Maybe a true expert can chime in.

NPT= National Pipe Taper thread
BSP= British Standard Pipe thread
BSPT= British Standard Pipe Taper thread
BSPP= British Standard Pipe Parallel thread

Don't waste your time asking the people at NAPA or Advance auto, they won't even know what BSP is. Just show up, part # in hand and you will get what you want.

Last edited: