Broken head light switch and wiper switch for my 86.5,will any other year stalks work

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
My switches just spin freely and its very hard to get my lights to turn on or to turn the rear wiper on.

What i wanted to know is if i neeeded to get a pre 89 stalk or if post 89 stalks would be PnP.

Edit: Not sure what its called... think collum switches or control.. sorry for the confusion..

Tonk

Oct 19, 2011
Sultan, WA
I have the same problem with my 88. The headlight switch is on the turn signal. The headlight switch turns freely and when I signal for a left turn, my headlights and dash lights go off. Was looking for a new swtich yesterday and couldn't find one in my web searches.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Couldn't tell you about different years interchanging, but I know you can get the headlight stalk alone from Toyota, without buying the entire switch assembly. Basically, you can remove JUST the stalk part with the headlight switch and put a new one in without changing the turn signal switch unit. I had to do this on mine about a year or two ago. Getting the detent ball and spring in proved to be a little aggravating and difficult though.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291410/catalog.aspx?F=8401&P=2

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
86-91 without Airbag should work fine, you'll have to change over the slipring to match your steering wheel if you get an 89+ one, or switch to the 89+ steering wheel.

Jeff

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
Jeff Lange;1772199 said:
86-91 without Airbag should work fine, you'll have to change over the slipring to match your steering wheel if you get an 89+ one, or switch to the 89+ steering wheel.

Jeff

Whats the slipring?

ProfessorHaddock

Mar 25, 2014
Seattle
CyFi6;1772147 said:
Couldn't tell you about different years interchanging, but I know you can get the headlight stalk alone from Toyota, without buying the entire switch assembly. Basically, you can remove JUST the stalk part with the headlight switch and put a new one in without changing the turn signal switch unit. I had to do this on mine about a year or two ago. Getting the detent ball and spring in proved to be a little aggravating and difficult though.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291410/catalog.aspx?F=8401&P=2

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm curious: isn't wiring in a new headlight switch fairly complicated? There's no no plug for the headlight wires, so they need to be soldered or attached in some other way, correct?

ProfessorHaddock

Mar 25, 2014
Seattle
I just bought the entire harness used in order to get the headlight switch. I'm wondering, do you think I can disconnect the switch from the new harness and put it on the old one, or is de-pinning more complicated than I'm thinking?

Thanks for the reply, by the by.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Not sure what exactly you bought, but as far as I know if you just buy the stalk, it will come with terminals on the wires which would fit into the old connector. You use a small pick tool or miniature flat blade screwdriver to remove the old unit from the connector, then slide the new wire end terminals into the old connector in the correct positions.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Thanks "Poodles". Have spare on parts car. Will try. I never new this. They usually get loose like this or turn signal buzzes instead of working.