Broke subframe and diff!

What should Andrew do?

• Purchase the cheap hardtop and do a turbo conversion?

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Purchase the cheap hardtop and rob its parts?

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Purchase a running beater, weld and reinforce the subframe and save up for a diff.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Heidis brother, Andrew was cruising around a couple of nights ago, and while driving moderately in second gear, the diff let out a grinding pop and now the car doesn't move under its own power.
When I got under it to look, the diff is leaking, the forward bolt mount for the diff on the passenger side tore out of the subframe and the drivers side bolt was sheared off and missing completely.
The diff is hanging lop-sided with the drivers side about 3 inches higher than the mount point, and the passenger side 3 inches lower than the mounting point.
The axles are consequently and very poor angles at the moment, and the drivers side is leaking a bit of grease through the boot. It is not torn, but just stretched tight due to the angle.
So I found an 86 hardtop sports package for way too cheap. It has the same color of leather interior, and the exterior color matches the lower half of Andrew's car. His car is an 87 brown/ bronze/silver two tone, the na is brown.
So what would you guys do? I have no time to help him at the moment, and it's a pretty big job to swap diffs and subframes. I think that it might be a more sound Idea to swap his turbo motor and tranny into the hardtop, and have a nicer, lighter car, but he wants to keep his targa.
So how many of you have torn your rear subframe? I think the the car may have some underlying issues to be breaking rear ends and tearing subframes. But maybe these things are more common in the comunity than I think.
The NA does not run, but they clame it was just a timing belt...

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Swapping the rear subframe and diff is a peice of cake. You can have the whole subframe assembly off in 26 bolts that includes taking the wheels off. And if you do it right you do not have to bleed the brakes.

M

Makavelli

Supra Dupra said:
Oh Andrew Oh I know that kid, that kids a fag. I herd he has this friend with a black supra he just got and i herd him and Andrew were gay fags or somthing. so stay away from them, we dont like fags around here

Can someone please ban this @sshole. Thanx.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
depends on if the body itself is messed up. if it is indeed just the subframe, take the cheap car, rob it of the subframe and axles and find him a new diff.....

hey whale you have the sub frame off (snatch and grab it off of the other one for 'way to cheap') you should grind and reenforce it then get some autozone spraycan sray on turck bed liner and do it up, also add to the traction block things that go up and hit the unibody when you lunch. i mean you got it off might as well.

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
supra_stephe said:
also add to the traction block things that go up and hit the unibody when you lunch. i mean you got it off might as well.

Huh?
Yeah, the broken car is a turbo targa. The parts car has an NA lsd, so 4.30:1 gears which should be fine for now.
Thanks for the backup on the immature newb, guys.
This site has a reputation for being a place where we can come and get real answers to real questions, and have a good wholesome time with other supra enthusiasts. Hopefully our new member will catch on.

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Thanks for the input guys.
I think he's going to get the subframe welded, and I found him an NA diff for $75, so maybe we can do other things with the "way too cheap" NA. whahahaha!:D

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
you could always buy it and drive it here and give it to me :biglaugh:
the cracked subframe thing definatly sucks. mine was cracked when i bought the car and the rear dif was/is fried. i still havent gotten around to swapping my diff even though my new one is just sitting there in the garage. i just had mine welded and it has held up well through me driving like a retard and several auto-x events.