Broke R154, Advice?

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
I was at a drift event and shifted from 1-2 on the rev limiter without letting off the gas and heard tremendous pops and grinds. At first it stayed in 1st when trying to shift from 1-2, but after I tried to use the other gears it engaged 3rd and now only 3rd works. 1st and 2nd act like neutral. 4th, 5th, and reverse are locked out. It makes a whining noise now when running in neutral. Any guesses on what I broke? I am getting an OEM rebuild kit, Marlin thrust washer, bearing carrier, and billet 1-2 shift fork. Is anything else needed to build a strong R154?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Should like the shift fork broke.

Can send it to Aaron at driftmotion. He does rebuilds for around 1k with all the goodies.

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
Sounds like the 1st gear thrust washer broke, pretty common on a stock R154. I snapped mine into 4-5 pieces. Lost the same gears you are mentioning above. I shipped mine out to Marlin Crawler, my transmission is actually the one they have pictured for their R154 "race" package. They did an excellent job and turn around time was great. I am sure Aaron does a good job as well. That would just come down to cost difference for me.

Good luck!