broke my trans... with vid.

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
Well that time has come. I broke my trans....again...w58 ftw. But after many years of road racing and some drag in there and maybe about 20,000 miles It has failed. Sounds like the input shaft. Yes Im gte and I know bla bla bla what ever people say about the w58 but I really do like how ez it is to rev match down shift on the track. esp when you come in to a turn wayyyy to fast. Oh and it makes over 400ft to the wheels on a ebay clutch...yea be mad. lol enjoy
http://youtu.be/GJWsLSzI_8Y

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
nice vid, thats some good carnage going on in there.

ive read a few people upgrading a w58 because like you said, they really liked the way it shifted.

i think in the long term though, just do the 154 and be done with it.

its tempting to try the spare w58 but if you already have the 154 then just go with that and be worry free...worst case scenario here is to see how much you hate it and if you hate it too bad, its better to swap a part because you simply dont like it, not just because its broken again...just my 2 cents

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
My favorite part of the video.

"So, Ah, I got an alarm, incase those haters try to hate on me. Ya know."

Sorry to hear man. Thats what youll get with a w58. I did brake my r154, but it was just the thrust washer.

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
^lol but what happens when the thrust washer gos? should I build the 154 while its out? Anybody build 1 before? Can I do it at home...I dont have a press....yet?

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
marlin crawler kit is around 300$ and well worth it because once it's done it's done it will definately outlast your motor. but idk if you can do it at home, depends how skilled you are. personally I wouldn;t but I have a buddy that does it and wouldn't charge me half as much of the kit for two hours work.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
1-2clutch-u;1935047 said:
^lol but what happens when the thrust washer gos? should I build the 154 while its out? Anybody build 1 before? Can I do it at home...I dont have a press....yet?

I did mine at home, but I had to run to work to use the press. Also had to borrow a puller for one of the bearings. I would go with an r154, as you will not have to replace them like you will a w58.

When the thrust washer goes, it will pop out of 1st gear, and I believe sometimes 2nd.

I built mine when it broke the thrust washer. If I were you, I would just run it till it blows up, then build it.

What I used in mine was the marlin thrust washer, 1-2nd billet shift fork, rebuild kit, billet bearing retainer, and whatever else DM offered at the time. I think thats about it. They just released the 3-4 billet shifter fork like a day after I got mine all back together.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
r154 + DM Rebuild Kit + MC Billet 1 to 2 shift fork + MC Chromoly bearing retainer plate + All new needle bearings = Done.

The 1 to 2 shift fork is a must! The 3 to 4 would just be a cherry on top of a cherry!

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Les, you know my opinion on this already. R154, rebuild it with new bearings, seals, and synchros (make it feel nice and tight, ya know?), billet 1st gear thrust washer, MC billet 1-2 shift fork, DM 3-4 shift fork, MC bearing retainer, MC poly shifter retainer bushing, MC poly shifter socket bushing.

Do it once, do it right, and never have to worry about it again (unless you surpass whichever clutch you're running)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Eh, depends on what his actual goals are and how much he wants to spend. R154 isn't weak by any means it's just some people abuse them...