brakes went bad what do you guys think?

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
my brakes went bad after i bleed them because i disconnected a brake line and forgot to reconnect it. after i reconnected the disconnected line i started bleeding with the front right and moved to the front left then to the back left and to the back right, i went in that rotation for a couple of rounds. the front brakes looked good, a smooth brake fluid stream came out but the back didn't come out smoothly. it came out like it still had air in it. i bleed it until was i going to run out of fluid which was at least 8 times and it still looks like i have air in the lines. its only the back brakes, the front work fine, the back brakes seem like they aren't even working because it seems like there is still too much air in it. no matter how much i bleed them they still don't work. i checked my front brake pads and pushed my caliper piston back into the caliper to fit my brake pads on, when i did that my brake master cylinder started leaking from the top of the cap with the cap on tightly. it almost seems like the cylinder has a leak but i'm not sure. i'm starting to think i have a bad brake master cylinder or maybe my brake booster is also bad. what do you guys think?

o... yea my brake pedal is spongy feeling and it almost hits the floor. when i pump it it feels the same and doesn't improve, might even be worst. let me know what you guys think, thanks

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
Re Blead..... But first make sure all lines are tight and no leaks at all...

Start at the RIGHT REAR then left rear then right front...

When the person pumping brakes is pumping they need to leve pedel up for atleast a few seconds on each pump.. that way it has time to draw fluid back in system from the res..

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
you're bleeding in the wrong order, start with the farthest from the master cylinder

if you compress the piston back in, the fluid has to go somewhere, so the master cylider overflowing is normal (you're just supposed to check it while you do it)

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
i've already done that, just did that this weekend. sill the same front brakes are fine but back brakes don't work at all

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
You either still have air in the line or a loose connection. May also want to try gravity bleeding the rear calipers in the order stated above.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
the back brakeline is very long...it could take awhile to get all the air out....keep pumping...

and just make sure you tighten the bleeder before the person lifts up on the brake pedal...

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
86_sports_1jz;1085554 said:
k been doing that.... how would i know when my brake booster or master cylinder is bad?

It has been my experience that when the master is just starting to fail, the pedal will start to feel like the fluid is bleeding off. Like say you are at a light and your foot is on the brake, well after 30 seconds or so, you may start to feel the pedal going down ever so slightly.

As far as the booster, you would know if it has failed. The brakes will not have any assist and the pedal will be very hard to push.

Wayne

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
SPD TRP;1085586 said:
It has been my experience that when the master is just starting to fail, the pedal will start to feel like the fluid is bleeding off. Like say you are at a light and your foot is on the brake, well after 30 seconds or so, you may start to feel the pedal going down ever so slightly.

As far as the booster, you would know if it has failed. The brakes will not have any assist and the pedal will be very hard to push.

Wayne

k thanks i think my master cylinder is bad then... cuz when i stop and push my brake pedal down it keeps going down further and further until it pretty much hits the floor

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
Poodles;1083039 said:
you're bleeding in the wrong order, start with the farthest from the master cylinder

if you compress the piston back in, the fluid has to go somewhere, so the master cylider overflowing is normal (you're just supposed to check it while you do it)

If there is ABS, you start from the furthest from the ABS solenoid pack, not from the master. The abs solenoid is on the Right front, so i start from the left rear, right rear, left front, right front.

Keep bleeding, sometimes when you have that much air in the system, bypass the pumping. Pumping can sometimes aerate the fluid instead of leaving the air pockets intact and have them all come out at once. Buy a bunch more brake fluid, fill up the reservoir and " down, open, close, up, repeat" until youre sure its all out.

Don't just call it a bad master until youre 200% sure the lines have all the air out of them. Ive had several cars before that it took ALOT to get all the air out of them at work. Just keep at it, i doubt you killed the master doing what you did.