brake master cylinder help>>

slowma70

May 23, 2011
Orlando,FL
I recently purchased a 89 Supra N/A 5 speed which needs a new brake master cylinder and i need help choosing which one. I'm assuming it has ABS but i have no ABS indicator in dashboard. I looked under the hood and it has the abs modulator thing(pic below). So whats he difference between non/abs and abs master cylinder? Any recommendations of which one to buy? Where to buy a good replacement? Thanks

p1790713_1.jpg

Last edited:

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Just order the rebuild kit and rebuild it yourself... Takes about 10 minutes (besides removing/reinstalling). I think I used a Toyota kit for the MKIV, but maybe a kit from NAPA for the MKIII. Good luck!

Also, a rebuilt MC will have been checked for bore wear/tolerances as well. I trust the rebuilt ones w/lifetime warranty from the auto parts stores like Autozone. Done it w/a couple of my other Sups. Takes aboout 20 minutes to remove/replace the MC and should be fine after bench bleeding it. Any issues, just take it back and replaced (usually without a hassle).

Edit: Only had 1 that was bad "out of the box." Rear brakes were "dragging" the car. Argued w/the counter guy for about 2 minutes and they gave me another one.