box or clutch

pete.w

Mar 13, 2008
birmingham
hi pips, ive fitted a mk4 2jz into me old mk3 and found that with the clutch peddle off im getting a noise just like a thrush bearing,so today ive tacken the box off and found there is no spigot bearing fitted,would this be makeing that noise or do you think its me box internalls. im thinking without the spigot bearing the spline would rattle am i right ?

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
pete.w;1042224 said:
hi pips, ive fitted a mk4 2jz into me old mk3 and found that with the clutch peddle off im getting a noise just like a thrush bearing,so today ive tacken the box off and found there is no spigot bearing fitted,would this be makeing that noise or do you think its me box internalls. im thinking without the spigot bearing the spline would rattle am i right ?

So in other words there is no pilot bearing in the flywheel and is causing the spline on the transmission to rattle and become completely unbalanced? Then yes you need that pilot bearing/bushing

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
pete.w;1042231 said:
but am i right without the bearing the spline is held tight so no movement or have i got it wrong way round?

If you have no bearing in the flywheel the transmission shaft WILL NOT be held in by anything. So you need a bearing in order to hold the transmission input shaft in place.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
What's happening is the end of the transmission shaft IS NOT being properly supported. It has a lot of weight from the clutch hanging off of it. This puts axial loads on the internal transmission components that they're not designed for.

Yes it can cause shifting problems as the input shaft is vibrating abnormally, causing meshing issues. Yes it's bad to continue driving like this. And Yes, it's an easy fix. Just put a pilot bearing in it :)

pete.w

Mar 13, 2008
birmingham
thanks for all your help pips ,ive decided to do both spigot and input bearing so keep ya fingers crossed as im at this stage so far

Attachments

• th_Box.jpg
    th_Box.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 10