BOV question

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
Well, I've been building my engine for the last year. It will have eagle rods , je's coated, arp everything, etc., etc. I will be starting with stock everything on the exterior but upgraded inside the block. Would my stock BOV stand up to the modding after I install 550's, lex, AFPR, maft-pro w/innovate WB ,etc. When should I install a upgraded bov. I've read contradicting threads and would like input. If I upgraded sould I recirculate? Any input is greatly appreciated. Realistic WRHP goal of 400 daily and/or track/weekend driving

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
I would upgrade the BOV its seen 20+ years of boost and im sure its tired and probably need something bigger

i kno its better to recirculate on stock ecu but since u have maftpro im thinking it would be ok to have it to atmosphere

TomFraser

my stock blew at 10 psi after 2 days, it would open under boost and cause compressor surge when it should have been open when the throttle closed

I now have the HKS kit that replaces the plastic pipe and goes to the 3000 pipe, and vent to atmosphere

I'm happy :)

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
I will be starting my modding slow and I figured once I get my piping done and installed in the car I would go ahead and put in my hks and recirculate. I have the innercooler piping done and waiting on my innercooler to get done, but it'll be a few months before the engine is in my car though. I will not be going maft-pro til next year im sure

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Keep in mind Tom is running speed density...venting a BOV to atmosphere is not an issue because of that. On the stock system, venting to atmosphere can cause the engine to stall. A good alternative to the stock BOV is the Bosch 110 and recirculate the same as stock.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I've heard the same thing, but never observed personally. A low boost flutter is a heck of a lot better than a stock BOV stuck open or one that causes compressor surge.