BOV question - A/T vs M/T

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Noobish question, but will an auto-equipped car blow off pressure the same as one with a manual? I was thinking about it, and if you're on the accelerator, the throttle plate is still open when the auto shifts, unlike when you let off to hit the clutch and shift in a manual. So, does it release pressure when it shifts? Or does the whole intake stay pressurized because there's (theoretically) little to no change in boost pressure?

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
you just want the sound? if so get a 5 speed...not gonna get much out of the auto unless ur letting off between shifts lol

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Yes, an auto keeps boost pressure between shifts (and does not need to re-spool them after shifts). There is a theoretical advantage to an auto (debatable due to the loss of power loss in a torque converter) but to me, standard transmissions always feel faster than the auto version (weather the car has 90hp or 450hp). Drag racing numbers beg to differ though.

Long story short, what do you prefer?

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Personally, manual all the way. I don't feel safe letting an ECU tell me what gear it feels like being in.

I was just explaining turbos to a friend, and he brought up that (admittedly good) question, is all. I already have an r154 in my mk3, and wouldn't even dream of switching out for an auto. Not into the sound thing, either...my HKS BOV is loud as hell, thinking about changing to something much quieter.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Auto are quicker in drag racing cause of faster shifting. There is less drivetrain loss in a manual tho which is why they are faster.

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
hvyman;1687578 said:
Auto are quicker in drag racing cause of faster shifting. There is less drivetrain loss in a manual tho which is why they are faster.

Makes me wonder how the newer constant ratio auto-boxes do. One effective gear with no shifting? Can haz constant torque and power output nao?