Bov blow by.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
JStoked;1654662 said:
Sry I missunderstood you. Do you mean out of the exhaust or out of the oil cap?

He means out of the oil cap.

Remove it, leave the car running - are there "puffs" of smoke coming out? Smell it. Does it reek of exhaust?

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
Devin LeBlanc;1654620 said:
Just throw a compression gauge on it, but you have to remove all 6 spark plugs when you do it and make sure your battery is strong when you do the test..

Thank you sir you answered my question before i even had a chance to ask it

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

super.secret.supra.club;1654639 said:
was it so hard to answer this question?

Yes there is smoke coming out when it idles

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
JStoked;1654795 said:
Yes there is smoke coming out when it idles

Stop driving it. You're only going to do more damage. One of the side effects of bad rings is that your oil is likely contaminated with fuel. This reduces lubrication, viscosity and flash point. You're probably already doing considerable damage to the bearings and wear surfaces in the engine. Remember that some wear areas (the cams come to mind) have no bearings to replace, if you grind them away, it's going to make a rebuild a lot more expensive.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
No easy way to tell other than excessive play. I suspect you've got an engine problem, not a turbo problem. However degraded oil will effect turbo bearings and all of that pressure and poor return can effect the seals. You'll have to address the engine problems 1st.

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
so how much "smoke" coming out of the cap is bad? correct me if im wrong but i would think you will always have oil mist coming out due to it being slung around in the cam covers wouldn't you. i mean that is the same oil mist the pcv picks up and sends through the intake but with the cap off some comes out there too/instead. is "mist" and "smoke" a different thing or is it all because of smell?

any chance of posting a open oil cap video with good vs bad?

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Supracentral;1654828 said:
No easy way to tell other than excessive play. I suspect you've got an engine problem, not a turbo problem. However degraded oil will effect turbo bearings and all of that pressure and poor return can effect the seals. You'll have to address the engine problems 1st.
Yes sir you are wright. I just wanted to know because I was going to sell them. I will just let the buyer know what's up.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

7M-KDL;1654833 said:
so how much "smoke" coming out of the cap is bad? correct me if im wrong but i would think you will always have oil mist coming out due to it being slung around in the cam covers wouldn't you. i mean that is the same oil mist the pcv picks up and sends through the intake but with the cap off some comes out there too/instead. is "mist" and "smoke" a different thing or is it all because of smell?

any chance of posting a open oil cap video with good vs bad?
Man you will know. Mine looked like an old train. You will know that somthing is wrong.

benstoked

Dec 18, 2010
OKC, OK
lol. jeremy just told me it was horrible smelling (exhaust+gas+oil...)
have a lead on a JDM long block for not much, hopefully it pans out.

and we (js did, I watched) just changed the oil in the damn thing, too.

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
im just wondering bc i think the last time i looked i had a little smoke coming out.however, my compression and leakdown test came back good. my motor was just rebuilt(its been a few months but not many miles). i have replaced the turbo as well and i still get bluish/gray smoke out the tail pipe on start up and then again on hard accel(any accel i guess) doesnt smoke at idle after warm up or while holding steady throttle @ 2k rpms. this led me to think valve seals so i purchased some but have not swapped them yet. then i stumbled upon this thread which has now got me thinking piston problem(dont understand since compression was good). i guess i need to see if valve seals fix it. it just makes me angry since i just dropped all my money on this build and apparently they screwed it up.

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
No man mine was alot. Try the seals. But mine was supposed to have been rebuilt 4k ago so it goes to show this is why stupid people shouldn't not have these cars like jj says crush them to make sure stupid people can't have one.

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
so after reading it worried me. today i decided to check the oil cap trick(again). while standing at the front of the car, not bent over the engine or anything i can just barely see a little smoke but only if you look really hard. if i bend down and look really close i can see the smoke better but no noticeable "bad" smell or anything. like if i had my hood open and the oil cap off and someone just looked at it at idle i dont think they would be like "why is smoke coming from your oil cap?" is that enough information to tell if rings are my problem or is it probably my valve seals as i previously self- diagnosed?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Visible smoke, unless in insane amounts (like described by the OP) isn't really a good diagnostic tool.

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
Supracentral;1655096 said:
Visible smoke, unless in insane amounts (like described by the OP) isn't really a good diagnostic tool.

well i did use other diagnostic tools previously(leakdown,compression) just wondering if that was enough info to point me in another direction. thanks for the info, im done hijacking now.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
A small amount of vapor/smoke is normal. After all that's why the PCV system is there and by removing the oil cap you're venting the system. There shouldn't anything like JS is seeing though.

As for better diagnostics measuring crankcase and valve cover pressure with a manometer is what's typically done. For crankcase checks the dipstick tube is the easiest place. More than a inch or two WC is bad.