Boost Test Question

oldmansupra

May 2, 2010
Canada
Im going to be doing a boost leak test on my car using the air compressor style DIY ones. I'm taking off the accordian hose, putting the boost leak tester on the turbo inlet. I've heard I need to plug off a hose by the throttle body. I just want to make sure I'm plugging off the right one. I labeled it in red on the following diagram. Can anyone confirm this, as I don't want to hurt my engine. Also I'm assuming this is the only thing I need to plug off, correct? Thanks in advance.

p1578109_1.jpg

mk3supra

Apr 22, 2005
Decatur, IL
www.supramania.com
I am going to be doing a boost leak test tomorrow and I need to make sure its done right so I dont blow my crank seals. I have searched and cant find anything definite answers on what to plug off and where to hook the tester up to.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Dont need to plug anything.

Remove oil cap and if you really want to you can pull the pcv off the valve covers(but thaat will be open from removing the accordion hose).

Remove accordion hose(7m) or intake (jz on stock twins) or intake pipe on big single.

And make a cap like thing for the turbo intake(can be done by using a coupler and a pcv cap and drilling a hole in the cap for a air nozzle(the kind with a rubber cap or make something like tape to seal it off.)
Set the regulator to 20-30 psi and listen. easier with 2 people.

Soap and water can help look for cracks on hose or pipes. or the intercooler it self.