boost problem after coming out of the shop

boosted2085

I was spoolin :(
Mar 1, 2009
houston,tx
I got my car back today from the mechanic and took her out for a spin after not having it for 2 weeks and noticed it's not boosting like it was before I put the car in... sometimes hits 7psi but mostly 3-4 psi... the car was out in to change the oil pan gasket.
it sounds like a balloon losing pressure or something while In boost
I'm pissed because it was boosting fine before I took it in.. when I got home I noticed 3 of the 4 nuts were off the back of the downpipe elbow and 1 nut was loose...

could that be the reason I'm not boosting as much as before or am I just having a boost leak in general?

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Not the issue. Most likely a boost leak. You can do a boost leak test, but I would guess your mechanic left a clamp loose somewhere on the piping that you should be able to find.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
jake8790;1955556 said:
Not the issue. Most likely a boost leak. You can do a boost leak test, but I would guess your mechanic left a clamp loose somewhere on the piping that you should be able to find.

Why would there be a loose clamp when they didn't even touch a single one? They did the oil pan...

boosted2085

Mar 1, 2009
houston,tx
7M4EVR;1955583 said:
Why not take it back to the shop and say wtf?
trust me I wasn't too happy and I had him take it back and fix it
Poodles;1955605 said:
If it sounds like a balloon losing air, it's probably a ripped coupler or rubber pipe...
I skimmed over the couplings and didn't notice anything that stuck out but I'll be doing a leak check when I get it back... and it sounded like a balloon but also high pitched.. so I'm not sure if it was the exhaust leak since 3/4 nut were missing

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
But...an exhaust leak post turbo will not cause u to boost less. Now a leak pre turbo definitely will and is most likely the issue.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Physically take off all of your intercooler hoses and thoroughly inspect each one. Re-install tightening each clamp down good. Drive it and see if it does the same thing.

boosted2085

Mar 1, 2009
houston,tx
I put a k&n filter,downpipe and boost gauge today...took her out for a spin and was only 5psi at full throttle..at about 4-6000 rpm's it fell flat on its face, losing boost quick..

im sure I have a boost leak but my question is wouldnt it lose boost sooner than 4-6k?...also my bypass valve is going off at every shift instead of higher shifts