Boost, Oil Pressure, and Fuel gauges do not work, JDM 7mgte

hock2k5

Sep 9, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
hi,

I just finally got my car back this weekend, my dads toyota mechanic friend has had it for 6 months and didn't fix anything that I told him to.

first, it has a jdm 7mgte engine ~45k miles, 3" blitz nur spec exhaust, act lightweight flywheel, centerforce stage 3 clutch...but other then that its basically stock.

The Fuel, oil pressure, and boost gauges do not work, and it might an really loud whining noise when turning my steering wheel to the left or to the right. the fluid is topped off.

Anyone have any suggestions? He tells me that the guages are bad....I find it hard to beleive that ALL 3 of them are bad. Im thinking it has something to do with the jdm engine.

any help would be great!

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
On the powersteering noise, you might have some air in the lines. Try to take the top off and turn the wheel slow all the way left and right and that should let the air out. I had the same problem on my 87.

On the gauges I think that your gauges are ok. The fuel gauge does not have anything to do with the JDM motor but the oil pressure sender unit could not be connected and you might have to recheck the vacuum line that goes to the boost sensor but I think that you might have check you gauge fuse. Its 7.5A and located on the driverside kick panel.

Last edited:

hock2k5

Sep 9, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
plaaya69 said:
On the powersteering noise, you might have some air in the lines. Try to take the top off and turn the wheel slow all the way left and right and that should let the air out. I had the same problem on my 87.

On the gauges I think that your gauges are ok. The fuel gauge does not have anything to do with the JDM motor but the oil pressure sender unit could not be connected and you might have to recheck the vacuum line that goes to the boost sensor but I think that you might have check you gauge fuse. Its 7.5A and located on the driverside kick panel.

I did your method for the power steering. And it still whines.....how many times should I do that?

Also, i checked the 7.5A fuse, it was good. I checked the vacume hose from the turbo pressure sensor to whatever its called that it pluged into, and it seemed to be fine from that route. The boost gauge however, when i turn the key to ignition, or on it will set at about 1psi and just stay there and not move, whether im boosting or not.

Any other help?

Thanks! :icon_surp

00Si87Supra

Aug 4, 2006
Lafayette Louisiana
If I remember correctly, for the oil pressure, you'll have to change the sensor on the block to a US sensor or it will not work...I had to do that to mine and it worked perfect afterwards

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
That adapter is used to connect a 7M oil pressure sender to a 1jz. It doesn't change the signal. Just hit the for sale section for a USDM oil pressure sender.

As for the gauges, I also think it's unlikely that all three are bad. Pull the cluster and inspect the circuit on the back for cracks, burns and shorts. Then verify the grounds are all good.

hock2k5

Sep 9, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
I just installed a used Fuel Level Sender, and another Stock Boost Pressure sender, and neither one made the gauges active.

So, its either wiring, or the gauges themselves then right?

Thanks