Boost controllers?

laxboy36

Mar 25, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
So I've looked for topic on boost controllers and havent really found any info about them on here, I mean I know what they do but, what's the best electronic or manaul?

88mk|||

Apr 5, 2014
Las Vegas
AEM make a nice one. It's a electronic control and gauge all in one. I don't have it but I will be getting it. It's around $330 tho..

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I personally would not pickup an aem. pricey, and they don't use any boost control strategies, basically a manual boost controller you can adjust in your car. (nothing against AEM I like them, just not this product. I have an AEM ems, and aem gauges in my car)

Almost any boost controller besides that would be decent. bump the boost and have fun. they are pretty easy to install as well. I had a cheap EBC I bought for under $100 and got some great use out of it. It was a blitz sbc II I believe. Thing kicked ass. I wish I still had it for some reason, but I control everything with my AEM ems now.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I have the GReddy Profec B spec 2 and like it. It was inexpensive and is simple to control. You just need to have it translated from things like gain and set gain.

Rafagazos

Mar 9, 2011
Virginia
Not choosing a brand or anything but to the dude saying he's going to get the AEM one (88mk l l l)^^^there's places to get them from for cheaper just trying to save you some money

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
88mk|||;2008183 said:
AEM make a nice one. It's a electronic control and gauge all in one. I don't have it but I will be getting it. It's around $330 tho..

The profec displays boost as well as being much more controllable.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
atmperformance;2009018 said:
Does the profec let you set boost correction at certain rpm ranges?

It has a gain feature that can help reduce or increase boost fade or creep.

I'm a fan of my greddy profec b spec 2.

I don't like the aem because you have to run a vacuum line all the way to wherever you mount the gauge.

Sent from my Moto X.

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
i went and read up on the new profec, i like the little boost graph it makes. It's not $430 cool yet but might be when i run a larger turbo.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
My aem works pretty well for boost control. lol a bit expensive if you are just doing bolt ons, but it does closed loop, and tuning.

I have a greddy profec B in my new car I just picked up. it has an aem v1 in it also, so I will be getting rid of the boost controller sometime in the near future. if anyone is interested in making an offer pm me.

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
Anyone running a high end controller like the APEX'i AVC-R Electronic Boost Controller or HKS EVC VI Boost Controller? They looks to have boost by gear settings and you can display a graph of your boost levels to help dial in gains at any rpm between 500-9000. I guess the draw back in the $500 price tag and ever a little more for the HKS. They still look very capable full of features.

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
I have the Apexi and its been reliable and has a lot of bonus features. When I got a non working dash upgrade the tach readout made fixing it a breeze. It does digital and guage display. You will be peak readings and so many settings you WILL be asking someone for help. Another thing is you get 3 settings for boost. I have A set at stock B at 12 PSI and C for WAS THAT A FRIGGING HONDA REVVING BESIDE ME>!>!>!>!

If you get it be prepared to go into your ECU wiring to tap the connections. It can also monitor injector pulse I think. I don't use it but I would have to look it up. I have mine on a stalk so its an odd install.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i have a greddy profec b spec 2. works great. i plan on using my aem ems though as it will allow me to do boost by gear, etc....