Boost alarm?

IRONMAN

Sep 7, 2012
Mobile
When I upped the boost on my 88 turbo I started hearing a solid ding very very similar to the "key in ignition, door open" alarm. It comes on when the boost gauge reads about 7 or higher and stops when I let out. Only does it when I pass 7 lbs of boost. Do the mk3's have a warning alarm?

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
IRONMAN;1961475 said:
When I upped the boost on my 88 turbo I started hearing a solid ding very very similar to the "key in ignition, door open" alarm. It comes on when the boost gauge reads about 7 or higher and stops when I let out. Only does it when I pass 7 lbs of boost. Do the mk3's have a warning alarm?

Nope. We have fuel cut.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I have a programmable alarm output on my wideband that could be used for such a thing. Start looking for aftermarket electronics.

Edit: A relatively simple circuit could be used as well, just a simple comparator on the boost gauge sender signal. I've been looking at the factory boost gauge for a while, doing some modifications to it with a wider range sensor. The factory boost gauge sender is a 5V MAP sender, but the top of the gauge is ~3.3V, so a comparator could easily be used to trigger an output signal for any voltage between about 3V and 5V for an "overboost" alarm.

IRONMAN

Sep 7, 2012
Mobile
Boost guage is stock. The AF ratio is still rich. and it runs fine so I don't think it's fuel cut. It's not acting like fuel cut.

And for the record I do have basic mods like intercooler, downpipe, full exhaust, remanufactured injectors, afpr, walbro 255, 57 trim upgrade, and many other piddly things.

IRONMAN

Sep 7, 2012
Mobile
Lowered the fuel pressure by 3psi and it completely stopped. The A/F ratio is still perfect and the acceleration even smoothed out a little. Problem solved.