Bolt-on Turbo Suggestions

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
Well, I know this has already been covered previously, but I'm currently in the middle of a full rebuild and just found out that "Project Save a Ho" has a trashed turbo (not surpised) along with everything else on the car for that matter. This car really should be in a salvage yard somewhere between all the rust, BHG, fire damage, and body damage, however it's getting a full make over inside and out. I'll be posting up a build thread later on along w/ "Project Ashy to Classy".

All that aside, I want a bolt-on turbo for the 7M that's not going to destroy the bank since I've already been spending a decent penny on the rebuild and supporting mods for my 1JZ and 7M. I'd like to have something that can support 450whp+.

I've also be really looking into Turbonetics since a guy on here stated he had a Turbonetics that uses the stock manifold and DP which would be nice.

I've also been looking at the CX T61 as a last resort, but from what I've seen from the main thread these all have wastegate issues.

Here's another idea too, I currently have a recently rebuilt CT26 57trim on my 1JZ and could pull that and maybe try to put a bolt-on 7M on the 1JZ. Just brain storming here...

If all else fails then I'll just be buying another CT26

Mike Morris

May 4, 2008
MD/DC
I had a turbonectics and it failed right away. Had an Sp61 bolt on I got from Mallow-ran 11s with it but failed under 10K. Rebuild from SP lasted one day. There are many flaws with the bolt on turbos on the market-for one besides the wastegate issue is the size of the oil lines with the kits which causes internal blowout.

notrice.com-those are nice and will not fail. You get what you pay for.

jonny87turbo

Dec 9, 2006
ohio
ya i find that hard to believe :3d_frown: I never had any problems with my turbonetics turbo. so how did the turbonetics turbo fail? How can you say the oil lines are to small If its an -10an drain line ?

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
Mike Morris;1655249 said:
I had a turbonectics and it failed right away. Had an Sp61 bolt on I got from Mallow-ran 11s with it but failed under 10K. Rebuild from SP lasted one day. There are many flaws with the bolt on turbos on the market-for one besides the wastegate issue is the size of the oil lines with the kits which causes internal blowout.

notrice.com-those are nice and will not fail. You get what you pay for.

Very true on the you get what you pay for. I might consider buying either the JT62 or JT66

Someone else was recently talking about having problems with a Turbonetics failing right off bat too. Seems like their overall reputation isn't that bad though.

Anyone have much experence dealing with MasterTurbo? Not so much the bolt-on, but just in general as far as the how reliable they are.

Mike Morris

May 4, 2008
MD/DC
jonny87turbo;1655276 said:
ya i find that hard to believe :3d_frown: I never had any problems with my turbonetics turbo. so how did the turbonetics turbo fail? How can you say the oil lines are to small If its an -10an drain line ?

oi
I had two fail. One in 03 and another in 05 on another car-thats when their quality really sucked since OLA and the rest of the gang went to Majestic. Seals went out under 5K. Do a search on SF back in the day they SUCKED. I swore them off along with SP. The lines can actually be TOO big and cause too much pressure..I have to look at my notes and see what lines are correct.

Had a JT62 on car last year and it was incredible. Spooled just about as fast as SP with much more topend. 127 MPH traps was nice at the track too along with mid to low 11s. Its on another car right now

As mentioned-want a turbo that bolts on and want it quickly-talk to Jeff. I am going to have him convert my blown SP into a JT61 as back up. People bitch about the price but you never ever hear of one failing. Drive a car with a JT612-62 and you will be amazed. Did I mention I almost waited 2 months for SP to rebuild my 61???

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

I have driven one car with a 66 and it was slower spooling but good topend. If you drag race with a stock 7M the JT62 might actually be faster due to the spool time but its a guess. I think the JT61-62 with fuel mods and exhaust tuned would provide enough power to satisfy most owners.

I have heard of at least 10 guys blowing motors including Jeff with these POS SP61/Turbonectics bolt ons when you can't control the boost and it spikes due to the flap/wastegate. I was always lucky and ran meth when I had problems and let off(ie I had octane to support it) If you have a stock shortblock you can't afford tha ort you will be replacing rings or even pistons.

jonny87turbo

Dec 9, 2006
ohio
Theres pressure and theres volume you can increase the volume but not the pressure on the feed side for your oil line.
And btw I never had any problems with boost creep with my turbonetics turbo. The hole was ported out on the exhaust housing for the wastegate so this wouldnt be a problem. This is what alot of guys have done.

Mike Morris

May 4, 2008
MD/DC
Wasn't known back then. As delivered the turbo was junk-seals sucked,,boost creep issues and lines were incorrect. Suprasport sold the same POS and later dropped it for the Bosses due to reliability issues. Due to their attitude back then I would never ever buy one of their POSs again. A bolt on should be a bolt on-nothing should have to be ported etc....

I "think" the CX is a SP61 knock off but not sure. I just got one to play with. Looks the same-have to examine it more

The JTs are the best ones but expensive. SSs are the same but many people seem to have problems ordering from them

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
Mike Morris;1655358 said:
Wasn't known back then. As delivered the turbo was junk-seals sucked,,boost creep issues and lines were incorrect. Suprasport sold the same POS and later dropped it for the Bosses due to reliability issues. Due to their attitude back then I would never ever buy one of their POSs again. A bolt on should be a bolt on-nothing should have to be ported etc....

I "think" the CX is a SP61 knock off but not sure. I just got one to play with. Looks the same-have to examine it more

The JTs are the best ones but expensive. SSs are the same but many people seem to have problems ordering from them

Yeah, I saw that you got one in the other thread. Hopefully you have pretty good luck fixing the wastegate issues, because it doesn't seem like a bad turbo other than being a knockoff.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
You know, I think I'm just going to stick with buying the Driftmotion Kit. It's alot simpler that way, and I'd also hate to have to deprive Big Aaron of taking all my money. lol

Amstaff

Jun 19, 2010
Umeå
I bought Lipp Boss SR Stage 5 650ho Turbo, $1600 from my budget ran away, good turbo? Nice when it fits original manifold.

My other Supra has Ebay manifold and Holset HX50, probably costs about $2-300 and gives more HP ::bhg::

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Hx50 or 55 seems a little to massive unless your shooting for real high numbers.

The billet precesion turbos seem to be pretty nice. Never ran one but couple buddys have them.

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
how much oil pressure is being pumped through the turbo from the 7m oil pump.
kind of sounds like there a flaw somewhere else if everyone is blowing so many turbo's.

also on another note. i know a big 16g doesnt bolt up but the numbers sound like they may
be comparable to stock. yes? no?

Amstaff

Jun 19, 2010
Umeå
hvyman;1657657 said:
Hx50 or 55 seems a little to massive unless your shooting for real high numbers.

The billet precesion turbos seem to be pretty nice. Never ran one but couple buddys have them.

Dont know yet how much HP im pushing for but the hx50 I got is the same as a friend uses ;)
He´s got 709hp with a 2L enginge and 4wd.

Link in english http://www.carthrottle.com/the-ultimate-sleeper-saab-99-quattro-turbo/

My turbos, look at the 650hp Boss turbo to the left and compare that to the hx50!

155827_10150132954201959_643951958_7790593_1067150_n.jpg