Bogging at wide open Throttle

Zapp

Dec 6, 2008
Chicago
My 87 Na 5spd tends to bog down really bad anytime I go wide open throttle below like 5k rpm. It also seems to be worse when the car isn't fully warmed up. Does anyone know what could cause this? Cause it almost got me rear ended when I pulled out into traffic today.

carfanatic89

May 21, 2008
Texas
Start small, run a ECU diagnosis, and see what the computer says. It might be an O2 sensor.

It could also be a clogged fuel filter, weak fuel pump or a bad FPR. I think you have a fuel issue like low pressure and its causing you to leaning out and bog when you floor it.

Also look at the plugs they will tell you how you engine is running.

Zapp

Dec 6, 2008
Chicago
carfanatic89;1346407 said:
Start small, run a ECU diagnosis, and see what the computer says. It might be an O2 sensor.

It could also be a clogged fuel filter, weak fuel pump or a bad FPR. I think you have a fuel issue like low pressure and its causing you to leaning out and bog when you floor it.

Also look at the plugs they will tell you how you engine is running.

Ok, I will run the ecu diag tomorrow and also check my fuel pressure. Just for a reference, what should the fuel pressure be on a 7mge?

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
also do a boost leak test .this happened when my coupler got loose and when it would hit boost the coupling made most air escape intake pipe

Zapp

Dec 6, 2008
Chicago
jetjock;1346513 said:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=73

Check it both with and without the vacuum hose on. With hose off quickly snap the throttle wide open several times. If pressure doesn't drop more than 2 psi there's no restriction in the fuel supply. And the problem can't be related to the O2 sensor. Something tells me it's not boost related either ;)

Ok thanks. And the fact that its in the GE section shows its not boost related, haha

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
If pressure does drop it might also be an electrical problem. I've seen more than a few of these cars where the fuel pump speed relay goes bad. One quick way to test that is to jumper the pump on (B+ to FP) in the diagnostic block and drive the car. If the problem goes away suspect a bad pump relay...