Bodywork Question(s)

80083r

Ok, 2 questions - largely I'm trying to sort internet rumour from fact here.

1. I have a weak area around the side turn signal on the front driver's side - I'll try to remember to post pictures, but basically I need to replace material from the wheel arch (right where the trim screws on) and 6 inches forward. It's far enough from anything "structural" that I'm not worried about anything but stopping the propagation of rust.

Can (should) this be repaired by cleaning out the rust and epoxy'ing in a patch? It's hidden behind trim, and I would do the regular bodyfill after creating the patch. I can weld it - but I have to borrow the welding machine, and it's kind of a pita.

2. There are some rust holes in the rear bumper (which I have now removed) - so, same question - this one I'm pretty sure I want to weld a patch in, but is epoxy an option?

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
you should be able to find a front fender for $50, try torontosupras.com

I would avoid using adhesive whenever possible...

same for the rear bumper support/re-bar...

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
+1.

ive seen rocker panel repairs done with a type of epoxy before. they treated the rust area and then litterally glued on a new piece of metal over it with some super black epoxy. they also did a demo to try and remove a cured panel they did on a bench, the glue is stronger than the metal...so if its not structural you "can" do it this way, but its one of those things you might as well just shell out and do it right the first time.

80083r

So I ordered a cheap (REALLY CHEAP) flux core welder - seen here:

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/120v/Powerfist-Flux-Cored-Wire-Feed-Welder/8209686.p

Yes, it's crap, but I only need to tack weld stuff in place. I did at one time have some skill at welding, so with a bit of practice, I should be able to make this work. $131 with a spool of wire, shipped to my door.

Anyone used one of these before? I've heard both good and bad, the welders here at work tell me that it will take some practice, but the machine itself is ok (not good, just ok).

edit: the welder I arranged to borrow was in the back of someone's barn, and turned out to be rusted and broken.