body work guru's fender replacement

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
hey everyone im looking to get some advice on replacing the rear fender wells. i have some good ones from a parts car but im unsure of how to remove and install them.
i have my drill and my welder ready to go.
any advice would be greatly appreciated

spencyg

Oct 7, 2010
Maine, USA
In the process right now. It is a ton of work. The actual well which you see inside needs to be removed in pieces. you'll never actually "remove" any of these parts because they are spot welds stacked on spot welds stacked on spot welds. I have been removing pieces which are good by grinding out the spots and then cutting the panels to make welding back in easier. You keep doing this with each layer until you get to the end of the rust, then rebuilt backwards. Its the only way. Each sandwiched layer has sealant/foam between the panels so you can't just start cutting and welding unless you want shit welds. My rebuild is coming out very nicely, but I've been at it for about 5 months (on and off) and am just about to finish ONE SIDE. You'll want a grinder, cutoff wheels, a good welder with gas shielding, a die grinder with carbide and grinder bits, and lots of patience. The "sweedish rebuild" thread on here has a lot of good documentation of what you'll find once you start cutting. Also, plan on finding far more rust than you thought you had...it likes to hide.

No fiberglass

None.

Good luck.

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
spencyg;1687377 said:
In the process right now. It is a ton of work. The actual well which you see inside needs to be removed in pieces. you'll never actually "remove" any of these parts because they are spot welds stacked on spot welds stacked on spot welds. I have been removing pieces which are good by grinding out the spots and then cutting the panels to make welding back in easier. You keep doing this with each layer until you get to the end of the rust, then rebuilt backwards. Its the only way. Each sandwiched layer has sealant/foam between the panels so you can't just start cutting and welding unless you want shit welds. My rebuild is coming out very nicely, but I've been at it for about 5 months (on and off) and am just about to finish ONE SIDE. You'll want a grinder, cutoff wheels, a good welder with gas shielding, a die grinder with carbide and grinder bits, and lots of patience. The "sweedish rebuild" thread on here has a lot of good documentation of what you'll find once you start cutting. Also, plan on finding far more rust than you thought you had...it likes to hide.

No fiberglass

None.

Good luck.

ah ok thanks im starting on it this week
most of the well is actually gone already i patched it for the winter with some steel sheets and pop rivets for the winter, now that its warming up im goin in for the weld fix