body electrical issues

mnracer550

Sep 15, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
hey guys i just oicked up another supra :icon_bigg its an 88 turbo 5 speed with no rust (kinda hard to find here in minnesota) for 1800 buck. anyways she definitly needs some tlc. one of them is the dash light dont work. first thing is i checked the fuse. im guessing the gauge fuse? the fuse is good. next i am currently checkin out dash light switch? no exactly sure how im gonna test it though. im lookin at the tsrm right now and cant seem to find dash light bulbs. the other issue is when i turn my headlighs on the climate control light flicker then turn off. not sure how that could happen. if anyone has ant more experince with body wiring id love to here you input. thanks guys.

roystunna

May 27, 2009
USA
I would take a flashlight and have a good look up under the steering column area and maybe remove the glovebox and have a look in there too for hacked up wiring jobs or stuff like a piggyback that was removed by just snipping the wires and left them hanging exposed, some people do some really crazy shit to their supras, it doesnt hurt to check that out first before hitting the TSRM.

mnracer550

Sep 15, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
yea im havnt check by the ecu yet but have the steering collum pulled aprt ow. im testing the switch rite now. ill see how that goes.

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

i figure out which of the wires are power in an power out to the insterment cluster. im thinkin the resistance should change when i turn the switch. does that make sense to anyone else?

mdeserteagle50

Nov 16, 2010
Richmond, VA
mnracer550;1671498 said:
alright i figured it out. faulty switch. i jumped the connector and it fixed both the climate control light issue and dash lights.

Did you replace the switch itself? How hard was that to do? I am having the EXACT same issue on my car. As soon as I turn on the dash lights, I hear a click and the climate control shuts off and still no dash lights.

mnracer550

Sep 15, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
do i havnt replaced it yet. i still have the switch jumped so it always on.it was only a couple small screws to take out. then check out the tsrm to find which ones to jump. my car is a flood damage car so i had to chase a few of these types of issues down?