Blue smoke

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
'90 turbo - stock crankcase ventilation, rebuilt engine and c-26 under 5K miles. No blowby, very very light film of oil in the aluminum 3000 pipe that goes to the intake manifold.

Ran 5w-20 oil for 100 miles (like an idiot don't even ask)

NO smoke on cold start or hot start. No smoke after sitting overnight.

If I accelerate with 6 psi boost on the hwy there's no smoke till I let off the gas. As soon as I touch the gas pedal again I get a shitload of blue smoke out of the exhaust.

Warm car idles for 5 or 10 mins no smoke. If you rev it to 3K rpms and release and then do it again there's a big blue puff.

Drive nicely around town without any boost and once in a while I get a blue cloud. Boost around town and there's blue smoke everywhere.

I'm thinking I killed the turbo with oil that was way to thin. Could it be something else ?:nono:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
JJ ran 5W-20 for a lot longer than 100 miles ;)
The difference could be how hard you push the car.

Have you done a compression test (hot) to confirm no blowby?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Actually...I hope it is the turbo. A lot cheaper than rings ;)

Change the oil...Castrol European Formula (German Castrol) 0W-30 is a thicker 30W multigrade than most at ops temp.
It wouldn't hurt to try it.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
Started this AM - no smoke anywhere for about 15 miles on the way to the garage. When I got there it was smoking out of the tail. Pulled the accordian and there was too much play I felt on the compressor wheel. Funny think is that the exhaust manifold was pretty clean - little bit of carbon. The downpipe has some slippery carbon that was like graphite but not shiny at all.
After having pulled the turbo I'll do a compression test over the next few days when I feel like it.

Meanwhile the exhaust side had what I felt was way way too much play. Made a video cause seeing is believing.

http://www.youtube.com/v/l7g-8FmoryU

I'll take that to the turbo shop and do a compession test during the week and perhaps treat my Supra with a little more respect.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
Nothing shiny on the exhaust side or the intake side to indicate rubbing. Also slipped a piece of paper between the blade and housing and pushed that direction and the paper isn't being held.

Might upgrade it at this fork in the road. But I just can't rationalize sinking a few grand into the supra....yet.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I hear ya...that's why I pointed you at the LIPP. It has a Garrett center section (definite upgrade) and is a direct bolt on. The stock fuel system can handle it and it's only a few hundred $$$ more than getting the CT upgraded to a 57 trim wheel. One downside $$$ wise is you will have to make your own lines for it or buy the kit.

Just a thought ;)

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
It's really is a great value at the price.

I don't think it was JUST the thinner oil but it most likely accelerated a already failing turbo. I would smell some oil burning here and there on 10w-30 after running around especially catless. More lately than months back.

I thought the oil was pressurized into the journals under a constant PSI of pressure but it looks like a "bath" of continuous oil. The turbo is a much hotter environment than what I gave it credit for.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I agree...I don't think the 5W-20 killed your turbo...it was already dead. You just didn't know it ;)

I highly recommend German Castrol 0W-30 for a turbo motor. The viscosity is a bit thicker at ops temp and it's PAO base can really take the heat a turbo produces. Plus, the additive pack is superb. With a good filter (change at 4K) the oil will go 8K easy.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
"German Castol" - Is that the same stuff at autozone in the USA ?

Call me shell shocked - scared of that 20 number now. You can feel the difference between your fingers when I pulled it out. There's less oil on your fingerprint each time you rub back and forth - much less "staying power" so to say. Seems like a momentary lack of flow would cause damage much faster.

Going to read Dr AE Haas' article again now with some experience under my belt.