Blue smoke on startup, not sure what next step should be..

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
I got about 3k on my rebuilt motor. Car has been running well, recently got around to doing one of Driftmotions IC+hardpipe+BV kits. Following the kit install and oil change, I've noticed a build-up of dirt on the bumper. I know it wasn't there a week before these upgrades because I took the car to a show and I didn't have to clean the bumper when I arrived. Up til this latest upgrade, the bumper has stayed clean. Now, in the morning, I can see a puff of blue smoke on startup. Also, if I start it up at lunchtime, I will see the puff of smoke. Car runs great. I went ahead and installed a new OEM Denso O2 sensor because the one I had was used when I got it 5 years ago. No change in the blue smoke/dirty bumper. The blowout valve is an HKS replica, and I did recirculate it.

Not sure where to go from here. Any ideas?

:1zhelp:

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
What hvyman said. If it's just on start up I would say valve stem seals. Because when the car sits the oil leaks pass them, but when you fire it up it burns off the oil and no more smoke.

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
S.A. supra;2016702 said:
What hvyman said. If it's just on start up I would say valve stem seals. Because when the car sits the oil leaks pass them, but when you fire it up it burns off the oil and no more smoke.

So do you recommend just replace them all, or if I pull the valve cover off, is there something I should be looking for?

The head was rebuilt, all seals replaced, but the entire engine rebuild took years. Yes, plural, more than one, like three years...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No you replace them all. Bit more complicated than just pulling valve covers off as well.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I suggest you get them from the dealer. I like to use OEM toyota valve stem seals. They last along time. Like any seal you should put a small amount of grease on the inside sealing part of seal that rides on the valve. Prevents tearing on start up. Most people do not make sure the valve stem seals are properly seated on the guide. I found a 10mm deep socket fits over the spring of the seal and drives them on nicely. Push on by hand and the tap with small hammer to feel them stop on top of guide. IMO

Not trying to thread jack. It does appear that "stone" is the maker for the Toyota OEM factory gaskets. Still doing some checking. Does anyone have proof that they are indeed the OEM supplier to toyota and made in Japan. Thanks

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
gtsfirefighter;2016722 said:
When the head was rebuilt were the valve guides replaced also?

Not sure..I got the rebuilt head from a guy that was getting out of Supras. He got it from an outfit in Florida called Clearwater Cylinder Head back in '06. The head sat unused. I called Clearwater, and they recommended replacing the seals. So I had it done (or so I thought), but the car sat for almost another 2 years before the rest of the block was finished and the car put back together.

It ran clean for the first 3k..bummer!

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Fwiw i had a head rebuilt from Clearwater and it sat for a year and a half before install. 10k miles and still no problems.