Blue mk3 with racing strip XD FTW! HOpefuly 2jz swap :D/ 6speed help?

laotionracer101

Jan 8, 2010
Arkansas
Hey supramania you guys dont know me but i know you i read this forum constantly AND I MEAN THAT, i read and read, but now i would like to ask some questions, I love my supra and i wanna kill vettes, with a 2j in my ma70, but i want to do so with the getrag 6speed, i would like to know of anybody who has done this swap. Currently my supra is sitting stockies wheels , 7m-ge and running on low octane gas, yeah i know its a beast :D, But i hope to get a 2jz beast under the bonnet. Any Help would be nice Thanks

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
Ok so basicaly I'll put it down like this, don't, it will be more money and fabrication and time consumption than I'm sure you're willing to do, a 2j is fine and you can swap en all day long, but for the getrag would need to use not only the tranny but the rear end as well and there's just so much work Its unreal, but if you're still set by all means go for it but do your research first

stomis

NA Die Hard
Mar 22, 2010
Jersey Shore
You dont need a 2j to kill vettes. Other than the ZR1 the typical vette isnt even making 400hp to the wheels, a Z06 is probably right around 450whp. The 7mgte is a much simpler, straight forward, user and wallet friendly swap and can get you 500whp no problem. There plenty of guys making north of 700hp on "stockish" bottom ends.

Just remember. Every horsepower brag number you hear from a car manufacturer is flywheel not wheel. That 630hp ZR1 vette, more like 560 actually getting to the wheels, ZO6 500hp more like more like 450 probably less, typical ls3 430hp vette is probably only putting down 360hp. Thats from someone whos a big vette, chevy, LS motor enthusiast also.

My point is it doesnt take anywhere near the power you think it does to have a very fast car on the street. Hell 300-350whp will give you a shot in your ass big time.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
stomis;1546111 said:
You dont need a 2j to kill vettes. Other than the ZR1 the typical vette isnt even making 400hp to the wheels, a Z06 is probably right around 450whp. The 7mgte is a much simpler, straight forward, user and wallet friendly swap and can get you 500whp no problem. There plenty of guys making north of 700hp on "stockish" bottom ends.

Just remember. Every horsepower brag number you hear from a car manufacturer is flywheel not wheel. That 630hp ZR1 vette, more like 560 actually getting to the wheels, ZO6 500hp more like more like 450 probably less, typical ls3 430hp vette is probably only putting down 360hp. Thats from someone whos a big vette, chevy, LS motor enthusiast also.

My point is it doesnt take anywhere near the power you think it does to have a very fast car on the street. Hell 300-350whp will give you a shot in your ass big time.

This post had my rolling :rofl: And Vette, Chevy, LS motor enthusiast!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

If you do want a 6spd, sell your car and buy a mkiv, seriously. But you dont need the 6spd and its way more money and time then its worth (unless you're shooting for 800+hp then a mkiv is a better platform then imo).

stomis

NA Die Hard
Mar 22, 2010
Jersey Shore
tissimo;1546214 said:
This post had my rolling :rofl: And Vette, Chevy, LS motor enthusiast!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

If you do want a 6spd, sell your car and buy a mkiv, seriously. But you dont need the 6spd and its way more money and time then its worth (unless you're shooting for 800+hp then a mkiv is a better platform then imo).

And whats so funny about my post? What part had you rolling? Was it the part where I offer him some money saving advise? The part where I'm honest about manufacturer horse power rating BS? Or was it the part where I said that I'm a long time chevy guy and happen to have more interest than just one type of car?

My point is that vettes arent ungodly fast cars like people seem to think they are and that it doesnt take a much more expensive motor swap to romp all over a stock LS car.

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
dubsupra209;1546244 said:
yea just stick with r154

+1 for using the R154. The Getrag is awesome... but also Awesomely expensive. You'll save yourself a lot of headache, time, and money if you just use the r154.

laotionracer101

Jan 8, 2010
Arkansas
Well my main intention for my build BEFORE killing vettes I want to run a good 550ponies driftable.. :D so r 154 i guess i can stay with you , BUT i need a 2j just no expetions there my friends, BTw this is the reason for my behavior http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=535530 this guys is so awesome But the supra sits a lil to low, but i want a good low stance but i cannot find the TIP coilovers that he is talking about, Or his TIP steering spacer :/, SO 550 will run vettes for breakfast then right? Lol rolling start

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
laotionracer101;1547135 said:
Well my main intention for my build BEFORE killing vettes I want to run a good 550ponies driftable.. :D so r 154 i guess i can stay with you , BUT i need a 2j just no expetions there my friends, BTw this is the reason for my behavior http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=535530 this guys is so awesome But the supra sits a lil to low, but i want a good low stance but i cannot find the TIP coilovers that he is talking about, Or his TIP steering spacer :/, SO 550 will run vettes for breakfast then right? Lol rolling start

Driftable.. meh.

:)

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
stomis;1546263 said:
And whats so funny about my post? What part had you rolling? Was it the part where I offer him some money saving advise? The part where I'm honest about manufacturer horse power rating BS? Or was it the part where I said that I'm a long time chevy guy and happen to have more interest than just one type of car?

My point is that vettes arent ungodly fast cars like people seem to think they are and that it doesnt take a much more expensive motor swap to romp all over a stock LS car.
Plenty of guys making 700+ on a 'stockish' (what ever that is), for one. Then the vette enthusiast, underrating the engines for the most part, but not even bringing up the fact that the weight is significantly less then the mkiii. HP means nothing without weight when talking about beating one, unless on paper with dynosheets :nono:. A stock ls2 vette can trap anywhere from 112-115 mph and a ls3 vette will trap 115-118mph. A MKIII will need to approach 500whp to pull away from a car like that. Add in a few extras on the vette and it makes it that much harder, ls2 vettes trapping 118+ and ls3s hitting 120s. Lets not even mention the z06 which will trap 125-128 stock. Even a decently modded ls1 (heads/cam) c5 will run pretty damn hard and probably high 110s or low 120s. Stock they're no trouble though and a bpu 7m will run with them (not killing them though).

But taking in those number you'll need a very strong mkiii to 'kill' those cars (600whp). Now a stock 7m will have a hard time living at those power levels and you will most likely have to build the engine. With the costs associated in building the engine the 'much more expensive motor swap' isn't that expensive anymore, and on par with building the 7m engine.

Last edited:

stomis

NA Die Hard
Mar 22, 2010
Jersey Shore
tissimo;1547251 said:
Plenty of guys making 700+ on a 'stockish' (what ever that is), for one. Then the vette enthusiast, underrating the engines for the most part, but not even bringing up the fact that the weight is significantly less then the mkiii. HP means nothing without weight when talking about beating one, unless on paper with dynosheets :nono:. A stock ls2 vette can trap anywhere from 112-115 mph and a ls3 vette will trap 115-118mph. A MKIII will need to approach 500whp to pull away from a car like that. Add in a few extras on the vette and it makes it that much harder, ls2 vettes trapping 118+ and ls3s hitting 120s. Lets not even mention the z06 which will trap 125-128 stock. Even a decently modded ls1 (heads/cam) c5 will run pretty damn hard and probably high 110s or low 120s. Stock they're no trouble though and a bpu 7m will run with them (not killing them though).

But taking in those number you'll need a very strong mkiii to 'kill' those cars (600whp). Now a stock 7m will have a hard time living at those power levels and you will most likely have to build the engine. With the costs associated in building the engine the 'much more expensive motor swap' isn't that expensive anymore, and on par with building the 7m engine.

Fair enough. I like reasonable explanations.

I dont see it super hard to get a mkIII down to 3200 pounds though. Especially when talking about a balls to the wall build.

laotionracer101

Jan 8, 2010
Arkansas
Hmm i see the point, I hear that some guys going side ways throw some slicks, on adjust their camber and 2 step launch and get decent times, I don't want to build a 7m :/ i know some of you guys see the rational side of the build but I am not playing a rational game here guys i think that 550hp setup can run with vettes now, and that will do. But it has to be 2j and are there any Preferred bpu that will get me close or do i have to open the block on this?

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
Basically on any of our engine choices available, add fuel and air and you have more power, but it's nothing especially at those levels wijout a goo tune, there's a hundred diff routes to go with bolt on items, even down to the turbos you choose, it drastically effects the point in the powerband and whatnot, basically, injectors a turbo upgrade wether it e big single or new twins, an intercooler upgrade and something to tune it with, but you'll probably need a wideband to use whatever u have to tune

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Pretty general question, What fuel, How much boost, and what kind of tire.

To make a car really good at something it has to lack in other areas. No drag car will drift well, and no drift car will drag well. Neither will handle to par on a road course.

Changing tires and maybe more every time you want to do something different will get old quick. IMO

Maybe it was mentioned and i didnt see it, Why does it have to be a 2J?

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Most people rarely get through a JZ swap in the A70 with a single turbo install for less than $5000.

Anything else you do along the way only adds to that price. You can cut costs by buying used parts and waiting for the deals to come around... but cutting corners will likely make it blow up in your face.

laotionracer101

Jan 8, 2010
Arkansas
nosechunks;1547991 said:
Pretty general question, What fuel, How much boost, and what kind of tire.

To make a car really good at something it has to lack in other areas. No drag car will drift well, and no drift car will drag well. Neither will handle to par on a road course.

Changing tires and maybe more every time you want to do something different will get old quick. IMO

Maybe it was mentioned and i didnt see it, Why does it have to be a 2J?

I just lust for that engine My uncle has a mk4 running about 500hp and every time i hear that engine and feel it everything is just right, With my mk3, i know what a good 7m build is like but, We are all intitled to our irrationality don't you think? Plus there is just so much that has and can be done with that baby, when the idea was first presented to me that a 2j was possible i knew that it would be right for me, as for any price tag i will sleep in my car and drink/bath out of a creek in order to get the money.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
No offense man, but didn't you just put up a blog post saying you have no money?

Tip to not just yourself but to all the guys looking to make their cars faster....fix the broken shit first.

laotionracer101

Jan 8, 2010
Arkansas
SupraMario;1548264 said:
No offense man, but didn't you just put up a blog post saying you have no money?

Tip to not just yourself but to all the guys looking to make their cars faster....fix the broken shit first.

You know your right man, but im not going to just sit around and stool in this my car is not a shit box besides the engine , Mark my words friend I will build a Supra 2jz with everything documented to help others, Yeah that money thing Lol Im working on it!