Blown HG??? What next???

Luigi

Luigi
Dec 5, 2006
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Well, now I am in Supra hell. I put in a JDM engine last year, used a HKS 1.2mm MHG and ARP head studs torqued to 85 ft lbs. I had the head reworked locally by a well known machine shop to replace all the seals and guides.

After having it tuned well by Justin half way to TX2K7 we got some bad gas and it must have detoniated. We were jamming to some good music so I didn't hear anything but it just started to miss and run like crap. The engine never over heated? It just started to lose power and run really bad.

After limping back home I checked the pressure in each cylinder and they are all good, 160-165 psi. I also dis a boost leak test and fixed a few small leaks but it still ran like crap. I had noticed radiator fluid around the number 6 and number 1 plugs but just tought it was a small leak on one of the hoses.

Well after some inputs from the forum I finally went to get the NAPA test kit. As soon as the car heats up to temperature 180 degrees, it turns the fluid yellow. Man, this sucks.

Since the engine never over heated I am thinking I will only need the machine shop to ensure the head is not warped and replace the head gasket right? Shouldn't the ARP head studs still be ok? I used the copper spray on the HKS MHG also?????? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am so pissed I have been considering a 1JZ swap but my engine is so fine otherwise.

Please advise!

Luigi :cry:

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
ARP's will still be fine. Don't coat a new MHG. Get the head checked out just in case, it probably will be fine but I wouldnt chance it.

Luigi

Luigi
Dec 5, 2006
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Thanks, I was hoping for the head to be fine but will have it re-checked. What type of sealer should I use on the head gasket if the copper spray is bad?

Thanks

Bishop92t said:
ARP's will still be fine. Don't coat a new MHG. Get the head checked out just in case, it probably will be fine but I wouldnt chance it.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
If you are using another MHG or just reusing your old one you should have both block and head checked for straightness and smoothness for that specific HG you will use.

Luigi

Luigi
Dec 5, 2006
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
The engine never over heated so the block should be fine right? I was planning to have the head checked and milled if necessary. Then I will get a new HKS MHG and install without any copper spray this time around. I had planned to clean and prep the block properly with sanding stones.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Don't assume it will be fine, especially when installing a MHG, you will be right back on here with "problems after MHG install". Do it right the first time and pull the enige to have the head and block done, you will save money in the long run, trust me ;). What MHG are you using this time? You'll probably have to go with a slightly thicker one after the machining is done.

Luigi

Luigi
Dec 5, 2006
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Well it depends on how much needs to be milled off the head. My plan was to use the HKS 2.0mm head gasket if the machinest agrees this is the right size. This is a JDM engine with the first blown head gasket and it never has over heated. So I can't see where the block would have any warpage?

starscream5000 said:
Don't assume it will be fine, especially when installing a MHG, you will be right back on here with "problems after MHG install". Do it right the first time and pull the enige to have the head and block done, you will save money in the long run, trust me ;). What MHG are you using this time? You'll probably have to go with a slightly thicker one after the machining is done.

Luigi

Luigi
Dec 5, 2006
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Also, does anyone have an opinion on who makes the best MHG?
I always assumed it was HKS but there are many others out there and I want to use the very best.

Luigi said:
It will be checked, but I do not want to pull the engine to do it. I will have it checked in the car before I pull the engine out. :evil2:

Luigi

Luigi
Dec 5, 2006
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
My thoughts exactly, if I have to pull the engine I am going with a 1JZ! Your car looks awesome, where did you pick up the 1JZ? Did you buy a 1JZ front end clip? Also how tough was it to install, new harness, computer, etc.

Thanks!:naughty:

Ric said:
JZ is your new friend.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
I got my 1JZ engine set (no clip) from Jhotimports. They are the best in the east coast.

It took a weekend to install. Very easy to 1JZ swap an SC300. After I did a few, i got it down to doing it in one afternoon with just hand tools.

MK3 can be just as easy with the plug and play harness adapter.